Author Topic: 3yo started napping again  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
3yo started napping again
« on: June 22, 2016, 14:31:34 pm »
My DS is 3yrs3mo. He stopped napping in January (2yr9mo) with only occasional naps once a week at nursery and occasionally if in the car mid-afternoon. We stopped all naps completely about 6wks ago after he was not going to bed & waking too early in the morning.

This week he has started falling asleep around 2.30pm. He is out cold so we give him 30 mins and put him to bed a bit later. He is now sleeping later in the morning and we've seen an improvement in his behaviour (fewer and milder tantrums).  He was ill last week and his baby sister had a few EW mornings shouting at 5.30 which may have woken him. I'm wondering whether he is just on catch up or whether we stopped him napping too soon?

His NND routine was:
Wu: 6-6.30
Quiet time: 1-2/2.30
BT: 7pm, asleep quite quickly after

The last few days he's done this:
Wu : 6.30-7pm
Quiet time 1-2.30
Nap 2.30-3
BT: 7.30, asleep by 8pm

Any BTDT experience of nap restarting after it seemed to have gone?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
Re: 3yo started napping again
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 16:47:32 pm »
I don't have btdt experience, but I would just roll with it if he seems happier. Make the most of it while you can!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 17:20:09 pm »
I would just roll with it. My DS 4yr has days when he doesn't want to nap and does and EBT and 12hrs at night. Days when he Must nap because his behavior is atrocious due to being tired and he goes to bed late and does a short night. If he's sleeping ok, and you aren't getting Early wakeups it sounds like he's just regulating his own sleep which is great.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 18:09:54 pm »
Thanks, it's funny, I though that once the nap was gone, that was it, but obviously not! He is a "touchy" one though and has never coped well with being tired so if he needs it, he needs it.

Today he had an appointment 1.30-2.30 & despite quiet time before and after, he didn't sleep. By 5.30 we had screaming at the top of his lungs and tears, over a piece of fish finger which fell on the floor.  Previously I'd put this down to "threenager" behaviour but having had a few days of better behaviour when he napped I realise it's related to tiredness.  On plus side he took himself to bed at 6.45! Fingers crossed for a long night.

I think I'll continue to give him quiet time and opportunity to nap mid afternoon and see what he does.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 18:35:48 pm »
Yeah DS can usually cope with out a nap but he actually took a nap yesterday at 12 at my direction because he was a hot mess behaviorally. Slept 2 hrs lol.

**Siobhan**

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 20:11:53 pm »
So you let him nap  as long as he wants? I'm scared to do that as DS generally doesn't fall asleep until around 2.30. If he slept 2 hrs then he might not go to go to bed until around the same time as me!
I know that 30 mins gives us a slightly later BT but that he's ready for it & we also still get a good bit of the evening to ourselves.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 20:46:50 pm »
So you let him nap  as long as he wants?

No not generally, sorry to confuse you. at Daycare I ask them to cap at 1hr (although sometimes they forget), but at home no more than 45 min or I'll get a super short night. He always goes to bed with out much fuss but he'll certainly wake up early the next day.

**Siobhan**

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 13:37:47 pm »
That makes sense, Skadiver.

It seems that around 2.30 is the time he is usually sleeping, but he won't go for a nap in his bed & usually only falls asleep if he's watching a film around that time. We wake him by 3 so it's only 30 mins but I really notice if he doesn't have it now. Yesterday he wouldn't nap but ended up tantruming and very pale & tired & needing a 6.30pm bedtime!

His sister continues to wake early (5-5.30am) & wake us all with her shouting/crying so I think my priority is now to try to improve her nights & enable DS to catch up as & when he needs to.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 01:30:46 am »
I hear ya. For DS would he sleep with earplugs to block out your DD? Or superloud white noise?

**Siobhan**

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 19:42:26 pm »
I hear ya. For DS would he sleep with earplugs to block out your DD? Or superloud white noise?

Worth a try. Now that I've realised he needs to nap some days and the routine he needs around it, I'm not so worried about him taking a catch up nap when he needs it. Thanks for your support xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD