Author Topic: Looking for shared experience and tips on floor bed transition  (Read 879 times)

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Hello everyone! So my LO turned 1 a couple of weeks ago and decided it was time to jump off the crib.  :o We've since reorganized his room so that we have a floor bed and soft carped next to it for him to roll onto when he does roll off the mattress (which happened last night btw and he kept sleeping like a champ!).
I would like to know if anyone is using floor beds and how they convinced their LOs to stay in it at nap or bed time. He seems to sleep in it just fine however getting him down is turning again in a 40 minutes business, after we reached a great 5 to 10 min process. He's not quite going to sleep independently, still needs pats and/or someone in the room. Trying WIWO to get him used to going down alone, seems to be getting easier but i'm still going in and out 3 or 4 times as the first couple of times he just crawls out if bed and comes to the door calling out. Mostly he finally goes off after being put back into bed the 2nd or 3rd time, but sometimes he keeps getting up and standing and fighting back (which is also why I leave the room, to let him work it out by himself). He's recently learned to walk which i'm sure affects the situation as well, but any floor bed success stories will be greatly appreciated!  :)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Looking for shared experience and tips on floor bed transition
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:12:18 am »
Hi Honey. Unfortunately it's very difficult to keep a baby that age in a floor bed. So firstly I would ask if you considered going back for the crib but using a sleeping bag? It usually makes it impossible to go out of the crib when they are sleeping in a sleeping bag.
~Marta

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:23:08 am »
I agree.  Was also wondering about what kind of crib it was?  A deep-sided crib with railings is what my two have slept in and although both are very physically able there's no way they'd have got out of it at 1y old, my 2yo is just about starting to manage it now.  Did you have an open-sided crib or one with low sides? 

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 14:50:39 pm »
Hello and thank you! First of all i'm happy to report the situation has already improved a lot! I have read some more on the toddler sleep forum and got right onboard with the suggestion of telling him openly we were leaving and we would come back if needed (instead of trying to get out quietly) and he seems to understand and stay in bed instead of crawling out right away - he even waved goodbye to me today for afternoon nap, so cute!  :) The last couple of nights only required going back in once and after that he just sat there, whinged quietly a few minutes and then laid down.
It was a normal sized crib with high sides and the bed base set right down - he's quite tall but it sure came as a surprise that he got out that time! Luckily he landed on his bottom but I just wasn't game to see if it would happen again or not...
We used to have a sleeping bag but it's just too hot now and he wasn't sleeping well with it anymore.
So hopefully we are on the right track! Thank you kindly for your response!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 15:02:19 pm »
Glad things have improved and :o at your LO being able to climb out!