Author Topic: Help on planning a transition from 3-4hr EASY in 15 min increments as book not c  (Read 1358 times)

Offline sara_haf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I’m wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me. I’m aware of the confusion around Tracy’s transition from 3-4 EASY on page 230 and I know that has been addressed on the forum previously. I’m also aware of the 5 min increment plan but I’ll be heading back to work (in all likelihood) when my LO is around 5 months and in anticipation (IF she shows signs to transition of course) I would rather have a plan (as a guide rather than a strict schedule) that increases A/E times by 15 min increments (which is what Tracy envisaged in any event) rather than 5 so that I can hopefully do the plan myself if my LO is ready or at least the start of it. So as I understand it the idea is to increase the A time of the first morning slot only. Once LO is used to that you work on the afternoon A times but I’m confused about whether or not you should be moving the E times along with the A times??? Is there anyone who would be kind enough to look at what I believe to be the correct way to increase by 15 mins? If I’ve gone back to work when my LO is ready it would be useful to give this to my mother/mother in law who will help look after her as a very rough guide to them.

At the moment my LO is doing well on a 3 hour EASY (7/10/1/4/6.30 bed at 7/DF at 11) with on average 1hr 20 – 1hr 35 A time but naps are a bit of an issue in that she’ll wake after 30 but does stay in her cot for up to 1.5hrs with intervention from me, drifting in and out of sleep and she can usually manage one or two 10 min stretches in the remaining time (she always shows signs of still being tired). I’ve already posted about naps so don’t need any guidance on that as I’ve had fab support.

I know in the book tracy says days 1-3 are to observe but as my LO is on a good EASY schedule so for ease I have labelled days 4-7 as days 1-4 so I can start as I  mean to go on.

DAYS 1  - 4 (extending morning A time only by 15 mins and E by 15mins)
E 7
A 1.45hr
S 8.45
E 10.15
A 1.5hr
S 11.45
E 1.15
A 1.5hr
S 2.45
E 4.15
A 1.5hr
S 5.45 (30 mins)
E 7.15

DAYS 5-8 (extending morning A time by another 15 so morning A time will be 2 hours)
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9
E 10.30 (is this now correct to move the previous days E by 15 mins for the remainder of the day??)
A 1.5hr
S 12
E 2 (is this now correct to move the previous days E by 15 mins for the remainder of the day??)
A 1.5hr
S 3.30 (how long a nap should we aim for here, 1.5 or 2 hours?)
E 5.30
A 1.5hr
Top up and bed 7pm

DAYS 9, 10, 11. This is where I’m getting confused and need guidance as to how to schedule the next change. As the morning A time is now 2 hours we now work on next A time by another 15 mins but do you keep feeds at 3.5hrs or move to 3hr 45?? Once I know the answer to this question I can try and plan the changes on these days, either by keeping E at 3.5 or moving to 3hr 45 and extending the second A time by another 15 mins.

Any support available to help me get a “rough” schedule together would be VERY much appreciated. I’m aware that not everything will go according to plan and to listen to my LO’s cues etc but it would be useful to see how the change will sort of look and what I/my mother/mother in law can TRY and aim for.

Thanks.
x

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
I think just as a general rule whenever you increase an A time the E is automatically going to move out as long as you get a good nap.  The routine looks great as something to aim for.  I did find this transition a bit awkward with my DD and sometimes an A time difference of 5mins was enough to make the nap a good one or a bad one.  I found I really had to watch the clock during this phase which was kind of annoying lol.  But it is definitely a good plan, and just keep in mind to listen to your baby also :). I found that things didn't really smooth out until we had a consistent 2hr A time.

Offline sara_haf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Ok thanks very much. So on that basis I've set out the rest of the changes in 15 minute increments (below)....I'm not sure however about the amount of naps and the duration of them is right? would you be able to take a look and advise me on any "tweaks"? Unfortunately page 230 really isn't easy to follow on the basis that A times need to be gradually increased so having my own schedule to try and work from would be great. Unfortunately naps have always been awful so I don't think she'll ever have a "good" nap but I think my LO has learned to cope with her broken naps as she's always happy during her A time so all I can continue to work on is trying to get her a little longer after she wakes at 30 minutes. If anything I'm hoping she may do better because sometimes by the time I get her back down, there's only 10 minutes to go until the next feed and I have to wake her up! so if she has a bit longer to play with then that might be better. Yes, I do always watch her cues. For example, this morning she was happy to be awake for 1.5hrs in the morning and I put her down and she was asleep by 1hr35 whereas for her catnap she was really fussing at 1hr15 (because she'd had terrible naps all day) and was out like a light but only for 30 mins of course but that's fine that time of night!) so I do try and watch her. You never know, her terrible naps may improve with the A time (I live in hope!!!!!).

In terms of when to transition, I can't rely on the 45 min nap as she never sleeps longer than 30 at a stretch anyway!! So am I really just watching out for the night waking's and not taking at much at each feed? By this do you mean that she's not actively "looking" for food or that she doesn't drink as much? clarification would be great.

Thanks for you support. So here's what I have for the whole transition. Guidance on the S times and duration would be great.

DAYS 1  - 4 (extending morning A time only by 15 mins and E by 15mins) 3hr15 EASY
E 7
A 1.45hr
S 8.45
E 10.15
A 1.5hr
S 11.45
E 1.15
A 1.5hr
S 2.45
E 4.15
A 1.5hr
S 5.45 (30 mins)
E 7.15

DAYS 5-8 (extending morning A time by another 15 so morning A time will be 2 hours) 3.5 HOUR EASY
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9 (1.5hrs)
E 10.30
A 1.5hr
S 12 (2 hrs)
E 2
A 1.5hr
S 3.30 (2 hrs)
E 5.30
A 1.5hr
Top up and bed 7pm

DAYS 9-11 (extending second A time by another 15) 3hr45 EASY
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9 (1hr 45)
E 10.45
A 1hr 45hr
S 12.15 (2 hr)
E 2.15
A 1.5hr
S 3.30 (2 hr)
E 5.45
A 1.5hr
Top up and bed 7pm

DAYS 12 – 15 (extending second A time by another 15)
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9 (2 hrs)
E 11
A 2 hrs
S 1 (1.5hrs)
E 2.30
A 1.5hr
S 4 (1.5hrs)
E 6
A 1.5hr
Top up and bed 7.30 pm

DAYS 15-18 (extending third A time by 15)
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9 (2 hrs)
E 11
A 2 hrs
S 1 (hr 45)
E 2.45
A 1hr 45
S 4.30 (1 hr)
E 6.15
A 1.5hr
Top up and bed 7.30 pm

DAYS 18-21 (extending third A time by another 15)
E 7
A 2hrs
S 9 (2hr)
E 11
A 2 hrs
S 1 (2hr)
E 3
A 2hrs
CN between 5-6
E 7 and bed

THANK YOU!!

x

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
I found my DD didn't really take good naps either until we were on a consistent 4hr EASY, for us that was kind of the turning point.  In terms of recognizing when to transition (if the 45min nap isn't an indicator for you) a couple things to look for are if she takes a long time to settle for a nap (could indicate she needs more A time), or if she is not hungry at the 3hr mark between feeds.  This is a great link to read:

Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY

I personally tried to keep all A times the same as long as I was getting decent naps and if a nap was anything less than an hour I would try to resettle.  I think the transition you posted looks good, the only thing that jumps out is I would be reluctant to have any sleep after 5pm as I fine anything later than that interferes with BT.