Author Topic: 7 month old teething and waking every 2 hours and up by 5 am.  (Read 3383 times)

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
I implemented the baby whisperer routine beautifully with my now 3.5 year old when he was about 5 months old, but am having a lot more trouble with #2. My 7 month old son is cutting 3 teeth and the 4th one is still brewing. I know his naps are a mess so I wasn't sure if I should post here or on the nap board. I try to give him a nap 3 hours after waking, but he doesn't normally sleep more than 1 hour, so I've been having to give him 3 naps so he doesn't get too overtired. And when he wakes in the middle of the night I nurse him. Ugh. I know. He's exclusively breastfed and was interested in food at about 5.5 months but isn't really into anything now  :-\ I really need some help bc I'm having a hard time sustaining this for my busy days. He's also waking up anywhere from 5-6 am ughhhh!

Offline FPT23

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
Re: 7 month old teething and waking every 2 hours and up by 5 am.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 19:45:15 pm »
Hi!! Congrats on the new baby! :)

It would be much easier if you could possibly write your EASY. Even if it's crazy- try your best! Maybe we can help tweak it out a bit to help naps/NWs.

Teething can play a big role in NWs! So make sure to medicate. I know you also mentioned he's not much into solids-- are you sure he's getting enough calories in his day to keep him full and satisfied through the night? Something to consider at this age if he isn't taking to solids.

5-6am can be developmental as well too- don't be so hard on yourself! But it can also mean another number of things... His first nap coming too early, maybe noise/light from the day, he's UT and needs more A time push, or nap transitions etc! Here's a link worth looking into that can aid in LOs EWs:

Early Waking

If he's short napping it can also mean he's not tired enough but sometimes can mean OT as well so a better look at your days would be helpful :) ...to better assist! At this age many LOs are transitioning to only 2 naps a day or may already have. That can also interfere with NWs, as they are getting more sleep in their day than they need, so therefore wake at nights. Here is another link I can provide to help show you typical hours for day and night...and also a link to average A times for babies your age:

Typical Amounts of Day and Night Sleep

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

These links are helpful while you possibly gather an EASY for us to look at and hopefully are able to help in some way!

Many hugs! It can be very frustrating and overwhelming at times. I have a 21 week old going through his own changes ::) ...babies, huh ;) xoxo!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 19:47:49 pm by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 10:44:12 am »
Ok yes our schedule is crazy bc my 3 year old wants to do things during the day. Here's what it looked like yesterday...
0600-w/breastfeed
0830-breastfeed
0900-nap (first time I just walked him before nap instead of nursing  :) ).
1030-w/nursing
1pm-breastfeed(he fell asleep-so I put him in his crib)
230-w/e
4-fell asleep for 5 min on the way home from the grocery store and was awake until bedtime
5-nursing
6-tried to feed green beans, didn't eat any
645/7-bedtime and nurse
(Woke up about 20 min later bc he fell asleep so fast, nursed him again...he wakes up a lot in the beginning of the night.)
When he wakes up from his 2nd nap early like that I give him a third cat nap, it just didn't work out yesterday. I'll give him ibuprofen before bed or around 10, usually just once. We're renting this house and I don't have any blackout curtains on, but think I need to get some. I try to keep his A time to around 3 hours. He's 7.5 months now. Do you think I should be pushing this back? He's not eating still and definitely could be hungry. Did the rice cereal before bed work for you? I heard it's a myth but am willing to try it!

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:30:33 am »
I agree it could be hunger wakings but also could be OT (and teeth).  I would actually recommend pushing your A times, my DD is nearly 7.5 months and doing a 3.15-3.5hr A time.  On the solids, have you tried offering a variety of foods? Just wondering because you said you tried green beans last night and both my LOs hated those lol, especially on their own.  Favourites are sweet potatoes, squash, avocado, pears, apples, carrots, peaches.  I find beans and peas have strong flavour so I usually have to mix it with something sweeter.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 16:48:08 pm »
Thanks for posting your EASY :)

With him falling asleep so quickly it could be built up OT. Yes A times are higher at this age but I think once your day is a bit more organized and with a better routine you will see things might get better for you! I would continue to push A times as we mentioned above. It's realistic to know that you can't push ALL A times through the day. So little by little will help you both out best. Gradually :) I also would have opted for an early bedtime when he did that power nap in the car. Those are the worst! It can help to try and plan your outings around naps. For instance, I would go run errands during that last catnap in his stroller, you know? See if that helps too :) ....that nap he took when he fell asleep during nursing, pushing that out a bit and waking him during the feed (switching breast, diaper change etc) might have helped you get a longer nap to get him to BT. Good luck with it :)

I agree w Lindsay on the green veggies. Opt for something different for dinner time. Many say cereal before bed works, but I have no experience wth that myself. Sorry! But I would give Lindsay's advice a go :) see if he takes to his solids better. I know as a BF mom, sometimes getting them into solids is tricky but don't give up! Mix up stuff and see what works! :)

Hugs!
Fabi

Offline Palmira78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 13:32:13 pm »
Hi. I recognize your story since it is happening the same to me. My second son, spirited baby, does not sleep through the night either. My first son was a text book baby and implementing EASY was easy  He slept quite well although we did not know at that time :).. Please carry on explaining how are you doing in case I can benchmark any of your solutions...
Big hug and many thanks

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 03:48:12 am »
Sorry I'm just seeing this now. Things are not good here.  He's 10.5 months and about to cut molars. He's got a bunch of new skills too like waving, pointing, and giving kisses. His doctor said this could give him a sleep regression too. He's still waking ever 2-3 hours and is hard to settle too. As of right now I try to give him a 45min-1 HR nap in the morning and then about and hour nap in the afternoon. Sometimes the morning nap comes a little earlier, but it's hard to get away from that bc I have to take ds1 to school. I'm wondering if he's ready to go to one nap a day? Or should I wait until the molars come in? I've about reached my breaking point with his sleep. He's medicated too. And I nurse still. /'d nurse him when he wakes up. He just won't go to sleep if I don't.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:40 am »
So sorry- many hugs hun. I know these phases can be rough.

For starters, his dr is right! There is a sleep regression during this time! 10/11 mths... it does have to do with the new skills and teething. Absolutely right. There is also seperation anxiety which I know can be rough too.

However, something jumped out with your post about how he won't sleep unless you nurse... has this always been the case? Can he or has he ever slept independently? Could you possibly write your current routine in EASY format?

Also, IRT naps... around this time, yes LOs do begin to transition to one nap. When I say transition, I mean the process. LO is probably not ready to drop to one nap quite yet. More like 12-16 months I would say? They start transitions around this time however and the nap situation can get tricky.

Many hugs and hang in there mama- this will pass!

Xo
Fabi

Offline karindmor

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:45 am »
He's never really been an independent sleeper. I've noticed that when he takes 2 1.5 hour naps he has a hard time going to bed and doesn't sleep great (but he never sleeps great, so that doesn't mean much haha). We usually
Wake- 7/730-BF sometimes (depends if I just nursed him an hour ago or 3 hours ago. Sometimes the last NW he had was at 3/4 and sometimes it was st 6).
E-8/830
A
S-930/10 catnap in car for 30-45 min while my 4 year old is at preschool. 4 year old gets picked up at 1, so I want baby to make it to pick him up and not fall asleep in the car.
Wake- 1030/11
A
E- anywhere from 12-1:30 depending on our day
S- 2/3 (nurse before nap-sometimes can lay him down without nursing but have to hold until he's almost asleep md pat in crib)
W- 3/4:30
A
E- 5/6
A-bath
S-7

I try to stick to this, but sometimes he wakes up from a nap at 2 if he falls asleep in the car. So then I put him to sleep around 645. Sometimes he wakes in the middle of the night wanting to play. Right now it's 3:30 am and he's playing/whining in his crib after I nursed him and patted his back forever. I left feeling frustrated and he cries and works himself up and then is much easier to put to sleep.
He definitely has separation anxiety and is very attached to me. He's never really been an independent sleeper. Other people have been able to put him down for naps and once or twice to bed after I've nursed. I haven't done any sleep training though bc of his crying. Even if I'm in the room with him and I'm just standing there he freaks out bc he wants me to hold him. He does better if I leave the room for a little while...he'll be upset for a moment and then play and start and stop with his fussing. That's usually when I go back in and nurse him so he goes back to sleep. I don't want him crying too loudly bc he wakes up my 4 year old and keeps my husband up. I know the nursing is bad, I'm just so exhausted. I neeeeeeed him to go to sleep.

Offline FPT23

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:18:44 am »
Many hugs babe.

Have you considered some sleep training? One NF for a BF is common. Sometimes 2 even as some have a DF still. But every 2 hours sounds like a prop.

I'm sure your exhausted- does ur husband stay home at nights? Maybe try resettling instead of nursing? Have him try it so LO doesn't smell moms milk ;)

This will carry on and it will be hard. They want what they want. But you won't be leaving him, but instead helping him find a new way to sleep to help mom get some much needed rest :) sometimes it's just best for everyone to be rested hun. This can go on for awhile.

Just know that it will be hard and you will want to give in but you won't leave him alone to cry. Your still there. He just has his ways and that's what he is used to. So they do put up a little resistance and I assure it hurts us more than it does them ;) he's just a little upset love but he's not in pain or hungry, kwm? You meet all his needs and he will be a happy thing the next day and not remember the night before.

Many hugs
Fabi