Author Topic: Bedtime gone wonky!  (Read 836 times)

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 18, 2016, 14:07:46 pm »
Our DS2 is 8 months today and for the past week he has been going to bed and waking up about an hour later, crying hysterically, waking sometimes twice. This is quite unheard of for him as he's never done this before - he has always gone to bed with no problems and slept through until morning. He has two teeth that have popped up at the bottom so I wonder if it's that, but I just can't seem to get a good nap routine in the day that gets him sleeping past 1.30 for his second nap. Here is our general routine:

A 5.30
E 6, then solids at 7.30
S 8.20
A 9.30 (sometimes wakes earlier, sometimes later, seems to be no rhyme or reason)
E 10, then solids at 11.30
S 12.40
A 1.10
E 2

This is where the afternoon can go a bit wonky. If DH comes home before 4 he usually cuddles him to sleep for 15 minutes to stop OT setting in but the last 2 days he hasn't been able to so we've put him down to sleep at 5.30 for BT. Pretty much every day the last week though he has woken up after an hour or so and has needed to be cuddled back to sleep. I'm thinking OT but I don't know how to fit in only two naps if he wakes up OT from his second nap. Any ideas?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Bedtime gone wonky!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 22:11:54 pm »
At this age two naps is pretty standard, I think to aim for 3 is unlikely really and what you need to do is get those 2 naps better distributed in the day.  I would work on slowly pushing the morning nap later - you're at less than 3h A which is short for this age and you're not getting a full nap at the moment.  I would make that gap later 5-10 mins every 2-3 days until it start at something more like 9.30am.  That should have the knock-on effect of pushing your second nap later too, making it easier to get to bedtime :). At this age just for comparison with DD we were on something like

WU 6.30
Nap 10-11.30
Nap 3-3.45/4
BT 6.30pm

Hope that helps!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:44:19 am by jessmum46 »

Offline SusieQue

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:13:34 am »
Thanks for the reply! He woke at 3 this morning babbling and talking and I'm not convinced he went fully back to sleep (although I did!) so he was ready for bed at 8. I know you're right about pushing the first nap back so I will start that tomorrow. I don't think the heat is helping at the moment either!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Bedtime gone wonky!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 06:45:01 am »
No it's a bit of a shock to the system isn't it?!!