Author Topic: Is this length of bottle feed normal  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mum to 2 girls. DD1 Sept 2012, DD2 May 2016
Is this length of bottle feed normal
« on: July 20, 2016, 20:38:28 pm »
Hi
my DD2 is 9 weeks old, now fully bottle fed on Hotmail and is on ranitidine for her silent reflux.
She does seem to really suffer with wind and holds on to her burps however our feeds seem to take  a very long time.
I am working to a 3 hour EASY for feeds, and whilst day time naps have been really difficult to establish she can go 3 hourly.

She can take 10-15 mins to drink 30 ml and then will start fussing so I wind, after the she usually roots and wants more.
It is taking up to 45 mins + to get 60-150 ml into her (depending on the feed) and sometimes I realize that she is not even drinking.
She is on size 2 teats already.
I feel like our whole A time is spent giving the bottle and then holding her upright.
She fussed a lot through feeds which I think is wind/reflux related.

Anyone else experienced this? dD1 used to drink 120-180 ml at this stage and take about 20-30 mins
Claire

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Is this length of bottle feed normal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 21:10:47 pm »
Sounds like it's taking a little on the long side, have you considered trying colief drops in the milk helps break down the lactose making it easier to digest.
Zoe

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 00:09:40 am »
Hi Zoe
Yes I do use colief drops already.
They are pricey aren't they but I dare not stop using them.

So after a horrendous overtired meltdown and bottle refusal at bedtime she slept 8.30pm. Has just woken at 12.20am.
Took 10-15 mins to drink 30ml, then I winded, she had a bit of a fuss on the teat and has just taken another 50ml which took 15 mins. So 40 mins so far for 80ml.

Clearly not that bothered for milk so I am wondering why she has woken up.
Some nights she only drinks 30ml!
Claire

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 12:43:47 pm »
I'd say that's way too long for a feed. Most babies will take  full feed in 20 mins, and that's not age dependant so a newborn will take a couple of oz in 20 mins and an older baby will take 9oz in 20 mins max. If feeds go on too long you get into snacking territory.

Has she been checked for tongue tie? Are you thickening feeds now? Either way I would try the faster teat and see if it makes a difference.

Laura

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 19:55:47 pm »
Yeah very pricey, I'd of paid anything for no crying ha ha!!

I'd definitely get tongue tie checked out like Laura has said.x
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 20:19:56 pm »
Colief drop are available on prescription in the UK - have you asked the Dr or HV to prescribe them for you?

Laura

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 20:36:33 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the help. With originally breast feeds taking 1.5 hours and now bottle feeds taking so long you may be right on the TT. Could also explain her wind issues as well.

Have had 3 lots of colief on prescription however GP told me it now comes up as a red flag as they are not meant to Rx  as no evidence based to support the cost of it.

Has anyone tried fennel tea for babies??  Just reading up on it.

Can I take A privately to get a tongue tie check. The HV said at 2 weeks no tongue tie but I do know people who have babies whose were missed.

Claire

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 20:42:29 pm »
My DS had tons of problems with wind and gas and was extremely colicky, we switched to Playtex drop-in bottles because you can literally push all the air out of the bag and I found they really helped.  Worth a try :)

Offline Vsta

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 06:27:14 am »
I'd seek for a second opinion about tongue tie. When my son's tongue tie was snipped he drank about 150 ml in 10 mins right after the operation and before it could take almost 1h with winding as in your case.
And yes, my midwife missed the tongue tie when he was born.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 08:21:28 am »
You haven't answered about the thickening milk but we had this problem with formula called Bebilon Comfort which was for colicky babies. It wasn't for a refluxer but still they have thickened it and when we were using Avent bottles with teat 1/2 or even 3, nothing helped as just the small holes in teats were blocked. DS immediately was refusing a feed so I knew something is wrong but he was a baby who only feeds for food from breast and bottle, never for comfort. If she feeds for comfort, I guess she might be not bothered by stucked holes but it will still prevent her from taking more from the bottle.

What worked here was using a 3-flow teat from Avent. The case was that it has a cut instead of a hole so it couldn't be blocked by thick milk. I used the slowest flow on it but DS could easily drink from it. Using normal teats with 1/2/3/4 holes didn't matter, as no matter how many holes there were, the milk wasn't flowing:).
~Marta

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 21:26:20 pm »
Hi,
I did get tongue tie checked again and apparently she was fine .
From around 13 weeks her feeds speeded up considerably and now at almost 20 weeks she takes her feed in around 10 minutes.
Her reflux is controlled as well so all ok on the feed side I think. She doesn't drink massive amounts and sometimes only has 2 oz but goes 4 hrs between feeds and is maintaining weight. 
X
Claire