Author Topic: Question with difficult BT  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 23:13:43 pm »
Hugs hun, so confusing. Could this be a storm (wonder weeks)? I don't recall at the moment for around 22 weeks.
Nap transition phases are so tough.

EBT was reserved for nap refusal days and when he had built up OT. And during nap transitions, some people do 1-3 days of EBT, then once OT is curbed, resume regular BT.

I think someone said to help him catch up with OT first, then start pushing A??

Offline FPT23

• Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Question with difficult BT
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 01:19:10 am »
I just need help with this BT!!!!! :'(

Our entire day is just fine but he just screams and cries at BT taking SOOO LONG to put down!!!

Oh ok I see what you mean with EBT! Will do. This was our easy today- I pushed that second A time... So I assume that since I'm pushing the second A time he's gna prob need less at BT? During the day he's at 2.45 A time... Maybe BT 2.5?

This has been happening for so long I'm not sure I can handle this BT struggle much longer. He's just crying and crying :( ...I prob have caused AP now with all this help he's been needing. Could it be that he got used to us helping him at BT? Grrr I just don't know anymore?! He's never been such a struggle and I'm sure it's not pain or anything of that nature. He's happy as ever before BT and all day today (and majority of his days) too... Again... Here's our easy...

8/16

WU: 7:40

E
A
S (PD 10:20- fussy fell asleep on own) 10:30-12:10 I woke

E
A
S (PD 2:45 very fussy) 2:55-4:30

E
A
BT (PD 7:00 very hard bt) .......

I haven't posted BT since DH went in to help :( ...but we are going on 20 mins of non stop trying.. He's an I.S but I'm starting to think w everything, we are undoing that. Is it possible :((
Fabi

Offline FPT23

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 02:16:15 am »
Update: fell asleep for BT at 7:20...

Woke after 1 hour... What is going on here :( !!!

Is that he's getting used to us helping.. Picking up and settling?? Could that have happened in just a few days. This is getting super difficult and draining especially with DS1 to PD as well :(

I'm overwhelmed I'm sorry :(
Venting....

It's like as soon as we walk into the room he starts crying
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 00:53:08 am by FPT23 »
Fabi

Offline ginger428

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 01:33:01 am »
Oh no... {{{{{hugs}}}}}.  That must be so frustrating especially since he seems totally fine the rest of the day. Does he have NWs beyond the first part of the night?

I honestly don't know what might be going on. Perhaps just a phase needing some reassurance? I personally wouldn't sweat the propping as he seems like a good IS and can return to it.

Is he 6 mo yet? If he's close, the only other thing I would say to try is putting him down cold for bed after 3hrs of A. I vaguely remember my DS at some point needing a huge jump before bed. I just read the 3-2 transition article again. Anything else stand out to you?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:17 am »
If you get a good second nap I wouldn't reducd the A time to bed. I do wonder if he's UT at bedtime and that's why the big fight then getting OT?

Offline FPT23

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 17:37:35 pm »
Thank you ladies for the responses! :)

Ginger,
He just turned 6mths yst! I need to refer back to that resource! Will do soon. I was thinking reassurance too since it ONLY happens at BT and he's fine all day usually. No he doesn't do NWs anymore beyond his first part. He'll go on to sleep his 8/9 hour stretch after that.

Shiv,
You know, the first time we went through this, he needed a push in A times... And it worked. I just don't know how to go about increasing at this point b/c he SEEMS OT. Normally I would work with one A time, at a time for a few days and once he continued to nap well on that, I moved to the next A time.. Etc. he just seems grouchy as soon as we near 2.5 hr A time it seems. I know it's all about adjusting... But I'm having a hard time reading what this could be. This BT issue has never lasted so long and such a struggle. Yst after a short 40 min afternoon nap... He was a disaster come 2.5 but I kept him distracted and he went down on his own (quite a bit of fussing and crying) for the first time and didn't wake. It was at 2.40 A time on a 40 min nap... But he seemed a wreck during his A time. I mean, nothing was calming him down as if he was OT? And sure enough went down the "easiest" he has in days! But he short napped me quite a bit yst off of 3 hour A times... Which were unintentional. I PD sooner and he just wouldn't settle and pushed it out to 3.. But he gave me OT naps. What if he short naps the second nap? He's 2.45 for the day. On short naps I think 2.5? Or even 2.40? How would you suggest going about pushing gently at this point

Here's his EASY yst:

8/17

WU: 6:30 resettled 7:30

E
A (3hr..short napped)
S (PD 10:15, a little fussy. Slept on his own) 10:30-11:10 short nap resettled 11:55-12:40

E 12:45
A (3hr another short nap)
S (PD 3:15/20) 3:40-4:20

E
A (after a short nap: 2.40)
S (PD 6:50 extremely fussy but settled on his own) 7:05pm

No NWs until 5am feed

What do yall think? I would love to fix this before our trip out of town next weekend! ::) ;) at least managing the A times properly.

I do have one additional question if y'all can help too :)
So, when he has an EW at or around 5am, I normally nurse and PD again. He stays awake but he doesn't cry or anything and eventually goes back to sleep after 30 mins (totalling around 1hr including the feed) ...pushing his WU to 8:30/9am... Do you think this would affect him and cause more EWs? I wonder if he thinks of it as a first nap but is continued as his night sleep. Yesterday he went 7pm-5am... Then fell asleep no later than 6:30am (after nursing about 20/30 then PD) ....I know EWs can be caused from the morning nap coming too soon... Could this be an issue or let it be and enjoy the fact that he's resettling ;) haha!

Thanks ladies!
Fabi

Offline ginger428

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 18:34:37 pm »
How are things??? Hope it's well!

Did you try the push in A or kept constant?

Offline FPT23

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 01:40:13 am »
Hi! It's been awhile ;) haha!

Yes and eventuaaaaaally..... The problem has subsided. We are back to no wake nights haha for now ;) but man this lasted almost the entire month! Going to push again soon since his naps are again... Getting shorter and he's taking a bit longer to fall asleep. Babbling and such. I think he's more LSN. He's always been on higher A times. Think he's ready for 3.10/15 here soon. He's 3hrs on all A times, 2.45 IF he short naps or IF he had an off nap day- 2.45 works for BT.

So far so good.. Let's not jinx it haha! I was wondering if you could possibly help me out w/ my question on my last post. The last paragraph there ;) thank you!
Fabi

Offline ginger428

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 17:12:49 pm »
Great news!
Wrt to EW, if you're aiming for relatively consistent days and BT, then I would try to at least wake him at the same time each morning +/-30mins regardless of night sleep. As you already know, this helps set his body clock. If his mroning naps are consistently shorter, then maybe the lie ins are affecting the am nap. How have the past few days been?

I bet you've alredy considered the other causes of EW at 5am... room temp, ambient noise, light, etc... Most of the time for us it was developmental, OT, or discomfort.

(Fyi, we lost our internet access again so it's been more difficult to get on. I will be back for sure but please bear with me!)

Offline FPT23

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 16:18:46 pm »
Thanks for your help. He was never one to have many EWs but lately is.

I believe it's what u mentioned... Developmental OT or discomfort. I think it's developmental w us. It's not technical an EW since he's asleep from 6:30pm or so. I would love 7-7 haha! But of course... Can't expect anything out of them ;) haha
Fabi