Author Topic: Newborn sibling allergies/intolerances  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Emily13th

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 26, 2016, 22:04:42 pm »
Hi all!
My 4 week old is showing all the classic signs for allergies/intolerances, reflux, mucous and watery stools (some of which really stink!), terrible eczema on her face, always congested and difficulty breastfeeding.  Her older brother who is almost 3 is dairy intolerant and has been since birth, but we didn't realise until he was 10 months old (serious mummy guilt here!)

I've started by cutting out dairy and soy from my diet, but did anyone find that symptoms got a bit worse until they got better?  I'm wondering if something else is irritating her or if it is just the dairy and soy clearing out of our systems, as I know it can take a few weeks.  It's been 5 days since I've been dairy and soy free.

Thanks in advance :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Newborn sibling allergies/intolerances
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:53:40 am »
I believe it can take a good 2 weeks or so before all the dairy is gone, so it may well still be that bothering her.  Poor LO and poor you!  Not at all fun :(  Did/does DS have cows milk protein allergy?  The other thing to think about would be if the reflux needs treating aside from dealing with the dairy aspect of things - if you don't see any improvement in another week or so I'd be tempted to get down to your doctor and ask if reflux meds are appropriate.  I assume you have excluded all dairy including hidden dairy from your diet?  It sneaks into so many things as milk powder, casein, whey etc....  ((hugs)) I hope something works soon x

Offline Emily13th

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:41:36 am »
Thanks for the quick reply!
We're heading to the docs tomorrow morning as the eczema and mucousy poops have gotten worse the last few days.  Taken some pictures of them to show her, but she's a great GP.  Wondering if I should push for a stool sample test to be done to check for any bugs or blood in there. 

My son was not this bad, he was always unsettled and never slept, and the only thing which tipped us off about his intolerance/allergy was that he became anaemic.  He's almost 3 and still can't handle dairy, so is still on his prescription formula.  He also had a phase of not handling eggs well, so wondering if they could be another culprit for my daughter.

Luckily Australian food labelling is pretty good so all allergens are highlighted in the ingredients list, plus I had to do it with my son a couple of years ago.  It's so naughty how they sneak it into such inconspicuous foods! 

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:24:37 am »
Good luck with the doctor :)