Author Topic: 2 month old spirited baby  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Adam_T

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 01, 2016, 15:34:17 pm »
Hello we are trying to get our son on the easy program but he is not a very good sleeper.  He is a very spirited boy and fights sleep at every opportunity. He will yawn and close his eyes and then instantly they pop wide open and stark flailing and kicking. We try to get him to nap but he doesn't like day time naps at all. This makes it very hard to get him on a schedule.  At night he usually has one longer sleep, about 4 hours, and then he's up every 1-2 hours.

Now some of the big issues we are having because he is so spirited:
He will not take a soother, he chews on it and gags on it, just hates it so it's not an option to soothe himself. He has started to suck on his hands a bit but still wants the boobs just to suckle.
The shush pat doesnt not work for him, he just screams louder and louder. A back rub works a little better but what other options do we have?
We can't swaddle him, he flails around around like mad when you do and if you are able to get him to fall asleep swaddled he wakes up right away because he wants to be able to to move and then he's angry.

One big issue is probably our fault but he will not sleep in a crib or bassinet. He wants to sleep in bed with mom or on someone. If we can get him to sleep in his crib he sleeps for 20mins wakes up and then will not get back to sleep. For naps he likes to sleep in his swing, will not really nap anywhere else during the day. He is an awesome traveller and any time we have to go anywhere he is out for the whole ride. Also for walks and shopping he's pretty much out the whole time.

He's always been spirited and fairly energetic. He could roll from his back to his side the first day he came home from the hospital and that's how he sleeps, won't sleep on his back. He's strong has great head control already and could lift himself very early, he's been physically advanced from day 1. Any help on how to get him sleeping better and in his own bed?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 2 month old spirited baby
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 16:12:52 pm »
Hi and welcome :D. What you have there sounds like a feisty, but very normal, 8 week old :D. I haven't met many babies at all that sleep well in their cribs at this age, though I respect that the book makes it sound very easy and normal!  Having now been through it twice, one with a feisty one like you are describing and also with one who was more laid-back, I would encourage you to just embrace this age with a little baby and make use of how portable they are.  It may not last ;) (DD slept nowhere at all but her bed in a dark room from 4 months old - total nightmare!) It's natural they should want to be held and carried and moved for sleep - after all it's what happened the last 9 months :) that's not to say abandon EASY principles - far from it - but concentrate more on establishing the order of things and lessen your expectations for independent sleeping just for now.  I found 10-12 weeks was quite a turning point for mine, before then we tried one nap a day in the crib with a variation of shh pat (head rub and hand on tummy or shh and pat the opposite hip) and a success was ANY sleep in bed, not just a long nap.  Both could do it just fine by 4 months and I'm sure you'll find the same if you keep the end goal in mind - small successes, not full on independent sleep and perfect routine all at once x

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 04:06:53 am »
I echo everything that Katherine said. I wish I took more advantage of how portable they are in the '4th trimester.' It's awesome your DS is a great traveler, but I also respect that that can present some inconveniences for the parents.

My DS, spirited/textbook, also refused the paci/soother and just chewed on it. Have you tried different kinds? They have softer ones that resemble nipples better. Mine never took to one, but it might be worth a try. DS eventually took to a lovely when he was age appropriate that he chews, strokes, cuddles and I bought 5 of them to ensure we have one around! =)

DS was also not having any Sh/pat. Interesting, huh? Firm, heavy/gently hand and patting worked, too. Also, we used a sound machine and still do to this day. We switched from white noise to the ocean sound as I found that it was a bit less harsher on our ears. But for this age, loud, rhythmic, white noise is what they're used to!

Our DS also hated the swaddle, (hmm, they could be twins!), but he did well with the swaddle with both arms out. I think the slight pressure on around the torso and legs being able to be constrained somewhat helped him?

Offline Adam_T

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 14:58:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies!

We have tried about 8 different pacifiers and he doesn't like any of them, he is getting better at sucking on his hands so I think he'll move to that soon enough.
So far he hasn't really cared for the white noise machine but if the vacuum is running he'll sleep through anything.
We also tried the leg only swaddle, it's better but he still likes to kick so it wakes him up mad some times.

I'm glad to hear he's fairly normal and that the easy program is not as easy as they make it sound. Right from the beginning we've known he's special and not going to follow any textbook. He's so physically advanced it's crazy, today he is 2 months and 1 day old and he rolled from tummy to back!  My wife flipped him back onto his tummy and he did it again just to prove to us that it wasn't a fluke!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 2 month old spirited baby
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 19:10:31 pm »
Ha I have a photo of DD at the exact same age doing that!!  Couldn't believe it :o  If your LO is anything like mine you're in for a great time - hard work sometimes, strong-willed like nothing on earth (!) but wonderful and clever and full of life - wouldn't change it for the world!!  (Though granted an extra bit of down time when she was smaller might have helped ;) )

Offline ginger428

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 23:04:59 pm »
 :o

DS at 3 mos.

Enjoy your spirited fella! Like Katherine said, they have much to offer and are plain gorgeous to observe. Not many dull moments.  ;D

Offline ireneasheard

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 04:32:07 am »
We use the Love To Dream swaddle - iit's a stretchy swaddle so my son can suck on his hands. He's been in it since around 12 weeks old and he loves it. Hope that helps!
DS 1: Textbook baby, February 2012. Kind and loving big brother to...
DS 2: Textbook (with a little touchy) baby, April 2016. My smallest and dearest bear.