Author Topic: Desperate for help  (Read 2759 times)

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: August 09, 2016, 13:06:35 pm »

Hi, DD2 is 7,5 months old. She has always benn catnapping but recently it's got crazy. Her A times arr very long for her age, but unless they are 4 hours she will not settle in bed. Two weeks ago she started sleeping 1,5 hour in the morning and 30 min in the afternoon. This lasted about 10 days and we are back with 30-40 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. She is very difficult to resettle and rarely cries aftet short nap. She is on 3 solid meals a day, wakes up sometimes furing the night but does not get fed. It is very difficult trying to entertain 7 month old for 4 hours having toddler running around, and then bite to eat and she wakes up again.
Wu.  6:20
S.    10:20
A.    10:55
S.    14:55
A.    15:25
S.    18:30

She will probably wake up just before 6.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Desperate for help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 15:19:03 pm »
Hi there

Yes they are longer than average A times for her age but if she's lsn then they're probably about right. If 4 hours was getting you a decent nap and now only 35 mins long and waking happy then she may need a little nudge and for you to extend by 10/15 mins.

My DD2 is 8 months and feels like we have to lengthen A times every couple of weeks! Annoying when you just get settled into a good routine!

Lauren

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 13:01:16 pm »
Hi, DD2 8,5 months now stilldoing 4 hours between 30-40 min naps. BT is at 7 now. I don't seem to think how can we move forward at all, we are stuck. Long naps are impossible as there is not enough hours in the day. Should I still be trying to extent A times? How can we start moving towards 1 nap as within a month perhaps we should try?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 13:24:07 pm »
Hi there!

I remember your previous threads..your DD2 really is a chronic short napper, isn't she?

How does she cope with the short naps?
Do you think she might be a spirited type who needs higher than average A times and cope on less than average sleep?
Does she seem ready for sleep after 4hrs and does she settle easily?
Does she self settle?

Sorry for all the questions..just trying to work out whether a routine change is worth a try or whether she is just a short napper.

Could you also post your typical day in EASY format? That would help to try to think of a plan to help out.  I think the usual options would either be to try waking early from first nap to see if you get a longer 2nd one, or increasing A times before first nap to see if you get a longer one then and could then do a short CN late afternoon...but it would help to see your day to talk through these options and which would suit you & your family better

Xx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 00:59:25 am »
She is fine after short naps. She goes to bed ok, I sing to her and normally after 4 hours she gets very drowsy and goes straight to sleep. She has to be very very drowsy otherwise she won't sleep. I have tried extending first A but it did not make any difference, also there is no time for longer nap with such long A's.
Wu.   6
S.     10.10
A.      10:45
S.      15:00
A.      15:30
Bt.     19:00

Do you think first nap 15 min and second 1,5? Something like that?

She is a bery active baby, was crawling at 5 monts, sitting at 7,5, she is pulling herself up to standing. Also very, very impatient, hates car journeys and being in the pram for more than 15 min is a struggle. Is she a spirited baby? Somehow quiz never applied to our situation and I found many questions irrelevant.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:06:52 am by ewabear »

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 01:40:14 am »
Do you think there is any possibility she is OT?  With a 35min first nap and a 30min second nap, it seems OT to me? I mean you know your DD best, but I do wonder what would happen if you actually scaled back your A times a bit.  Or leave the first A as-is and scale back the 2nd one?

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:57:09 am »
I probably have most awake baby you will ever see. She just would not go to bed and trash her cot.
Today:
Wu.   5:45
S.      10
A.      10:45
S.      14:50
A.      15:35
Bt.     19:00 actually asleep

I found that she actually need to be really tired to sleep, owertiredness does not make her sleep less, this is the only way to make her sleep.
Yes, sometimes she will wake up at 6:30 and goes for nap at 10:30, I wouldn't allow her to sleep pat 11-11:15 because she nwdds to sleep at 3ish and would't be tired enough and bed rime would be late. I also have 3 year old that goes to bed at 7:30 so BT cannot be later than 7.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 13:57:46 pm »
I probably have most awake baby you will ever see. She just would not go to bed and trash her cot.
I am wondering though (again, you know your baby best) if this is a symptom of OT and OS.  She does sound spirited, and my DS was also, and when he was OT he got really overly active/excited, almost manic, so it just sounds like maybe she is so awake because past the point of being tired, if that makes sense?

I found that she actually need to be really tired to sleep, owertiredness does not make her sleep less, this is the only way to make her sleep.
Perhaps she needs a really long wind-down routine?  Instead of pushing her As, I wonder if you actually scale them back but provide a long wind down, 20-30mins to help her come down from activity time and settle into sleep vs pushing As and activity which may be causing OS.  Some stories in a darkened room or something like that?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 19:01:44 pm »
How's it going?

Reading through this, if you rule out OT, the other option is to wake earlier from the first nap (e.g. After 30mins) in the hope of a better 2nd one, maybe after a slightly shorter A time e.g. 3-3.5hrs. She is a little young for this to typically be needed but it sounds like she is LSN if she is managing on so little.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:17:28 am »
Hi, we are not getting any better at sleeping at all.
Wu.    6
S.       10:30ish
A.        11
S.        3 ish
Bt.       7

It is impossible for her to go to bed after less than 4 hours unlsess she is in the car. It doesn't seem to matter 45 min or 30 min she can do either on the same amount if A time. She us 9 months old and sleeps so little.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 13:38:48 pm »
At this age I would say that 1 longer nap and 1 shorter one is the norm.  I think the morning nap is fine, but the PM one might be OT after a short morning nap.  I know you say she needs 4hrs between, but after a short morning nap I really wonder if you pull that afternoon nap earlier if she would sleep longer, something like 2:15/30 if she woke at 11.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 18:51:43 pm »
Maybe she is just a short napper? What are her nights like?
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 19:15:33 pm »
Yep I would agree that if her nights are ok you may just have to suck up the short naps.

Or just throwing this out there (other ladies may say crazy idea) but to try something drastic like really pushing her A time to see if you get one long nap. Really not the usual recommendation for a 9 month old but she could be very lsn.
Lauren

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 19:57:47 pm »
I thought of that, but feeding schedule would go out of the wndow, she is ebf. Im might wait another 3 weeks to make a move. She is fine during the night though which makes me think she is just having enough sleep.

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 20:36:50 pm »
She is fine during the night though which makes me think she is just having enough sleep.

I think I'd agree as you've said before she is also fine after the short naps and never taken long naps.  You might just have a short napper who likes to get her sleep overnight instead of during the day. Tough in the day but nice to get the good, long night.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD