Author Topic: 3-2 transition question  (Read 1807 times)

Offline clarem100

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 23, 2016, 14:45:04 pm »
My lo is 7mo. She currently has 1 longer nap in the morning, 1 shorter after lunch and then one at teatime. She can only just manage 3 hour A after a long nap. After a short nap she is tired at 2.5 hours ish.
My question is if I'm to start moving towards 2 naps, how do I fit in 4 hourly feeds? We are Blw and she's not eating much at all yet

An average day is this

7 Wake and bottle
9.30/9.45 S
10.30/11 wake and bottle
1.30/2 S (40 minutes)
2.30/3 bottle
4.45/5 S (normally 40 minutes but I have started waking her if it's getting much past 5.30)
6 bottle
6.30/7 bed

She sleeps until morning so I am happy with this routine at the moment. Would you advise to keep with it and keep the 3 naps? How would I fit bottles in around 2, hopefully longer, naps. At the moment I can't see that afternoon nap ever getting longer?!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3-2 transition question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 21:15:42 pm »
Hi there, welcome to BW forums :)

Do you think you might be misreading her cues on those naps?  The guidance A time at 7 months is more like 3hr to 3hr 15
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
There is a chance that her 'tired cues' are more due to the habit of going for a nap quite early so she starts getting ready to nap even though she isn't really tired enough for a long sleep, it's also confusing at this age as they can yawn when they want a change of scene or different activity - do you think this might be the case?  Her naps look UT (under tired) to me.
I noticed on your previous thread Lauren suggested an increase in A time to 2hr 45 and your LO is a bit older now.  it looks like on your EASY the A times are more like 2hr 30 which I would really think is too short to get a decent nap.

She sleeps until morning so I am happy with this routine at the moment. Would you advise to keep with it and keep the 3 naps?
At the moment I can't see that afternoon nap ever getting longer?!
If you are happy with the routine, and some people are happy with short naps as it fits in with outings to baby groups and such, then no need to change it, you can adapt E times around the naps.  However it seems in your last comment that perhaps you would like the routine to change and to get 2 long naps.  Really it is up to you :)

WRT the feeding question.  Often at this age LOs are able to go a bit longer than the 4hrly E if they are having a little solids between and if they are asleep.  E times almost extend naturally when baby is sleeping and they just eat when they wake.  The little bit of solids between milk feeds is often enough of an additional calorie intake to get them through a little longer between milk too.
Your routine on 2 long naps might look like this, you will see a little solids comes an hour after milk so LO is not really going 4.5hrs between food:

WU 7
E 7
E 8 solids
A 3hr
S 10 - 11.30
E 11.30
E 12.30 solids
A 3hr
S 2.30 - 4
E 4
E (you might not be doing 3 meals just yet)
A 3hr
E 6/6.30
BT 6.30/7

Hope this helps