Author Topic: Thrush for 4 weeks, please help  (Read 1357 times)

Offline katiebee18

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Thrush for 4 weeks, please help
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:27 pm »
Over 4 weeks ago I noticed white spots in my baby's mouth and that same day my nipples began getting sore. Prior to the spots in his mouth, he had a yeast diaper rash. Since then here is what we have done

Wash all pacifiers in hot soapy water and then microwave sterilize
Wash all toys he puts in his mouth in hot soapy water and then bleach water soak and air dry
Sun anything I can (toys, bras, car seat if he sucks on straps, etc.)
Laundry EVERYDAY in very hot water with bleach (whites --- so towels, bras, changing mats)
All dark laundry gets vinegar added

Started with nystatin orally for baby, topically for me --- cleared some spots
Also doing vinegar rinses, air dry nipples and Motherlove thrush cream
Acidophilis 3 times a day for me, once for baby
Garlic pills 2-4 times a day
Cut out most sugar/refined carbs in my diet (I already am dairy free for a milk intolerance in baby so didn't have to do that)
Drinking raw vinegar a few times in a day in my water but had to stop as was upsetting LO's tummy

Next moved to gentian violet for 7 days, cleared up most spots but I still had pain.
Took a few days off and did gentian violet again for 7 days, I see not spots but still have pain
For a week or so I have been putting coconut oil on my nipples after feeds and in his mouth a few times a day.

On Difflucan as of Monday, took one pill good for 7 days and will do another dose next Monday --- I have seen no improvement yet

Just ordered liquid grapefruit seed extract to do an after feed rinse as my doc recommended stopping the vinegar rinses so I haven't done those in 2 weeks or so

Kind of losing my mind and about to just deal with the fact we might have thrush our whole breastfeeding relationship. I get rally stressed about him putting his mouth on things and he now crawls and it's just impossible to keep up

Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

P.s. DS2 had thrush same age/same time of year and 1 round of gentian violet without the crazy cleaning regimen I am doing now made it go away and it never came back

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Thrush for 4 weeks, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »
It sounds to me like you are doing absolutely everything :(  https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/thrush-oct14.pdf There's some helpful info in this link - not sure if possibly getting a lactation consultant involved would help?  Also, the link does seem to suggest a slightly different dose of fluconazole (Difflucan) which seems to be a daily dose - perhaps something to discuss with your doctor?  ((hugs))

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Thrush for 4 weeks, please help
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 18:59:00 pm »
oh you poor thing. I had that issue with my first, did all the things that you are doing. what age is your LO? I took a 28 days course of diflucan, its pretty strong meds and it didn't clear to for me either. I contacted Dr. Jack Newman at the time and he suggested his APNO cream. if you google it, and maybe get your GP to prescribe you the cream. I don't if it was this cream in the end but the thrush went away. he also suggested at the time that it may not be thrush at all but rather a bad latch and hence the nipple pain? just throwing it out there. hope things will get better, its so frustrating!
Franziska