Author Topic: Nap trouble  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: September 18, 2016, 18:36:25 pm »
Thought I'd start a new thread as I had one posted beforehand but this is a nap issue...
My 2 mo lo has been napping in his swing since he's born. I used to stress over it but then I got over it and just let him nap there since he was happy to be put down awake and would drift off on his own (kind of since it is on the lowest swing setting). But as he gets older he won't just drop off just anywhere and being that the swing is off of the family room it's not fair to expect him too. But I've tried in his bassinet where he sleeps at night with no luck. So I assume he likes to look around see what I'm doing etc from the swing before he falls asleep. But as I mentioned lately I'm getting very short naps in the swing. So I keep trying the bassinet no luck there either! Today he took two naps one around 40 mins the other maybe 30!  He's sleeping great at night in his bassinet. 2 nights this week he went to bed at 630 and slept until 330 then back to bed until 6/7! So maybe he's just getting the sleep he needs at night? But I do think babies this young still need some good day sleep too right? With my first lo I used to stress so much over naps and I swore I wouldn't do that with this guy. I offer him a place to sleep but I can't mKe him. With having a 3 year old at home with us it's not the easiest thing to have a lot of time working on putting him down either. Any suggestions?
His easy:

Wakes around 7 can be 6am at times too depends on his night.
Feed around 730 as he's not interested so much in this feed and never eats much
830 nap I usually put him in swing at 815 and he's asleep by 830
Today he slept 845-920/30
10 feed
11 put down for nap slept until 1130 maybe I didn't pick him up right away as sonetimes he falls back but he didn't
1 fed he was falling asleep during feed tried to put hi in bassinet for nap no luck
215 tried again in swing and he's asleep at 230! Granted the house is quiet as my husband and 3 year old arent home. But he's been up since 1130!
He usually won't nap again before bed after this nap and is usually awake from 4-630!
Do I just need to try a different amount of A time?

I ordered a new bassinet for my room as he's s huge baby already 16 lbs at 8 weeks but it's more of a co-sleeper but can accommodate up to 30 lbs. I'm just not ready for him to be in his own room in the crib so young. Just hope It doesnt ruin our good nights.

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 19:39:45 pm »
He woke up 30 mins later at 255!!

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 17:59:46 pm »
 And now he's doing a catch-up day he's already been asleep for three hours !

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
Re: Nap trouble
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 18:31:54 pm »
Great to hear he catches up when needed!
Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 18:48:24 pm »
I think naps can still be v erratic at this age & short naps & are still typical but getting long naps to catch up again is good too.

I think there's a developmental leap around this time too which can affect length of naps and A times.

I'd agree that you can give all the opportunities for sleep but can't force it...and with an older one it's often the easiest option that works.

I think around this age with DD I started trying for cot naps but needed to wait for sleep cues then soothe her in the crib for a while to get her to sleep..I used to do this for first nap while DS was eating breakfast and after lunch when DDwas watching some TV..so I had a bit more time to give DD.  The rest I did in the sling until she was a bit older.

"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 20:12:48 pm »
 Think I'm going to give the crib a try tomorrow when my bigger guy is at school. I just don't want to spend all day every day trying to get him to nap in the crib it's just too stressful I learned that the hard way from my first lo. I waisted so much time on naps and was so stressed over it. So I'll give it a go see how he does but if no luck I will put him in his favorite swing and try again tomorrow :)
Tonight we are trying the new bassinet/co sleeper for bedtime. Wish us luck. Hope it doesn't mess up our good night sleep. I wonder if it will be hard for him to go from a bassinet that has a canopy to a wide open space.

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 18:30:03 pm »
Good luck! Hope it went well. Sounds like a healthy attitude to have: give it a try but don't stress of it doesn't work yet
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD