Author Topic: 12 or 13 hour day??  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:47:32 am »
My DD is almost 8 months. We keep struggling with too much day sleep causing EWs- or could be hunger too- hard to say!

But I wanted to see if you all had any suggestions on whether a 12 or 13 hour day is best and I can adjust her naps accordingly.

I know she can do 11 hour nights but not sure about 12 unless I nurse her around 5:00am ish

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 12 or 13 hour day??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:07 pm »
It really probably depends, I personally do a 12hr day, with 1 long nap and 1 shorter one...DD is nearly 10 months.  At 8 months we had 2 naps that we a little more equal, but never more than 3hrs day sleep.  Do you want to post your EASY?

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 15:49:56 pm »
Thanks! I don't really have any recent days written down but here's an example:

Up 6:00ish
Nap 9:30/45-11:45
Nap 3:00-4:00 capped
BT 7:00ish

First nap is long and second is capped. Sometimes both are 1h 15min and sometimes 1hr 30mins.
All depends. But her days are usually 13 hours with an EW where I usually feed her to try and get her back to sleep.

She wakes up a couple times a night but resettles herself with her paci

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 00:09:17 am »
The day looks good, the EWs could be either too much day sleep or the first A needs a push.  If you are not super bothered by the EW you can leave as is, my DD will often wake at 5:30 and eventually just rolls around and settles herself.  I used to go in and try to resettle her but I learned that she was better just left alone lol

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 10:02:46 am »
Thank you!!

I feel like everything's good as well. I'm okay with it just not sure what the random NW or EW is from. But it's probably all random things I have no control over ;)

Her nights are usually better with a 12 hour day (after looking back at some days I jotted down) but the EWs kind of prevent that from always happening because I won't put her down before 6:30pm

She's been pooing around the time of her EW as well. She just did this morning- I heard her grunting so I let her grunt and once she was done I went in and changed her and she wasn't happy about it but I knew she wouldn't go back to sleep soiled.

I have to nurse her to calm her back down after the (very messy!!) changing and shes trying to go back to sleep now but she seems up. Ugh

If I don't hear grunts tomorrow I'll just leave her and see if she goes back to sleep. Thank you!

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 10:41:32 am »
She ended up falling back to sleep yesterday morning and I woke her up at 7:30am.

Woke her up 7:30
Nap 10:40-12:00
Nap 3:05-4:30 (was UT at 38 mins but went right back to sleep)
BT 7:38

She didn't have any NWs and woke happy at 6:15am

So from yesterday her A times were much shorter than I've been doing and she had a 12 hour day and did amazing last night. My problem is now she's been up since 6:00am so we can't do a 12 hour day. And this is when I give her much longer A times- closer to 3h 45m to stretch her day out so BT is at least 7:00pm

She won't do a 12 hour night- never has. Always 10 or 11. Unless she wakes around 5:00 and I feed her and resettle her back to sleep

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 11:34:05 am »
Yes I see what you mean, how does she generally do with the longer A times?  TBH we don't really have a consistent WU so we play each day by ear, and our days fluctuate just like yours do.  I think sometimes I just do a longer A to bed if needed as long as the PM nap was decent.

Offline Mandy.kamal

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 16:17:50 pm »
I'll just keep rolling with it then! Always nice checking with other moms to compare. I guess once she's able to do a 12 hour night, it'll all work itself out :)