Author Topic: 6 month Waking woes  (Read 1552 times)

Offline GillianKiely

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 10, 2016, 13:41:34 pm »
Hello!

I have my first wonderful and happy LO who is just shy of 6 months.
We are trying so hard to establish a schedule but her sleep is so erratic it's not quite taking form.
She used to be a cat napper but has recently started taking longer naps some days. She is also waking up a lot at night. She is EBF. I'm finding out difficult to get her to eat when she wakes up bc she's so excited to see me (which is the best feeling EVER) she is distracted and won't fully feed. Even when we are still in her dark room and I don't interact too much. I have found she will nurse more at the end of activity time when she's tired and she doesn't usually fall asleep when I feed her then or I keep her awake of she starts dozing. I use a 4s routine for nap and bedtime. She loves it, she knows exactly what is coming next and is usually pretty easy to put down for a sleep. She loves a good bum pat. The only tricky part is that when she wakes at night, she wants to nurse back to sleep. If I shhh pat her back down she will often wake up 10-20min later and you have to start the process all over again. yesterday I did this 9 times before finally nursing her to sleep, and even then she only ever does stretches of max 2 hours. This all started around the 4 month sleep regression, where she was als o teething (has two teeth already!) and got sick and we had just returned from a trip. It's been almost 2 months of "something" being the reason behind her not sleeping, but I'm starting to think that it was never the teeth, sickness, or schedule changes, and perhaps more that she has gotten used to nursing to sleep after bedtime. I am at a loss! I can't figure out if it was all of these things happening at once and continuing to happen or if this is a completely separate problem. Is it something to wait out or something to work on... I have been reading so many posts and none have quite given me the ah-ha moment that I am hoping for.

This is the "schedule" I aim for but it completely depends on how her night and naps work out...

E 6:30 am wake up, try to feed change diaper
A 6:45 am play time
E: 8:20 eat change diaper read story
S 8:45

E 10:45 ( usually if we are up early) wake up, offer to nurse
A 11:00 play
E: 12:30 eat change diaper
S 1:00pm

E 2:00-2:30 (on a really good day...) wake up offer to nurse
A 2:15-2:45 play
E 3:50- 4:15 eat, change diaper
S 4-4:30

E 4:45- 5:10 wake up and offer to nurse
A 5ish play time
   6:15-6:30 Bath time, stories, nurse
7:15-7:30 Bed time.

After that it's quite unpredictable... sometimes she will sleep for 2 hours and sometimes she up within 30 minutes. She flips onto her back (shes a belly sleeper) and cries out until I come. And then we continue the cycle. If it's been less than 2 hours I try really hard not to feed her back to sleep but then she will usually wake up very quickly after that. I wait anywhere from 5 mins to 15 after she falls back to sleep. I don't run right in when I hear her, I try to wait just enough time so that it won't be impossible to resettle her. I honestly have been doing so much research and trying to tweak things for the last few weeks, always slowly and giving each change a bit of time to see results. I'm getting nowhere and I'm at a breaking point from exhaustion. I feel like I just need to know if there is something I should be doing differently or if I just have to bolster myself and keep at this until she develops the ability to stay asleep.

She has also started waking at 5am some days. When she does this its sort of a gamble, she either nurses back to sleep until 7:30 which sort of uproots our whole day, but if I wake her up she screams and cries wanting to sleep, or that's just it and we are up that early.

I apologize for the novel, I just wanted to be sure that whoever answers my plea really knows that I've been working hard at this and looking through all the material I can over the last few weeks. DH's response to all of this is that she is a baby and it's normal. He can't help me at night because he has a long work commute and is renovating our house on his own so he really needs to sleep through the night.

Thank you if you've made it this far!

Offline Meggyfunk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 16:05:19 pm »
Hi, I just want to say from one tired mama to another, you are not alone. Somewhere on this forum is a great tool for average awake times that a very helpful mama shared with me. I have a 6.5 month old and had to extend his awake time pretty drastically around 5.5/6 months to 3 hours while decreasing his daily naps from 3 naps to 2. It's called the 3:2 transition and it pretty much sucks in a nutshell. It did help our night wakings though, getting a better handle on his daytime routine. Lindsay on the EASY board was a Godsend for me. I wish I could offer words of wisdom on the NW's, I'm following your thread for advice that might help us as well. Possibly increasing the awake time and starting solids soon may help some and/or sleep training and aiming for laying down drowsy but awake after nursing in the night. We got two teeth around 4 months also and medicated at bedtime. hang in there! I'm sure some knowledgable moms will come to the rescue soon with great advice.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 6 month Waking woes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 19:01:40 pm »
Hi there and welcome!

Sounds like you're doing a fab job of trying to get your baby well rested, it's not an easy job at all!

As Meggy mentioned this is prime time for babies to begin to need to drop that 3rd nap and extend their A times. I have attached a link to show you the average times and its really helpful! Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I've also attached information about the 3-2, have a read to see if it helps All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months. The EW you mention is often linked to nap transitions and needing an A increase. Try pushing the first A slowly and holding for a few days before increasing any further.

She's only just 6 months and EBF so she could genuinely need to have one (or two feeds) still at night. Waking that many times does usually indicate hunger or discomfort. Does she feed every 2 hours during the day too?

Unfortunately the first year is pretty unpredictable and like you say it's often one thing after another - teeth, developmental leaps etc.

Come back if you have any other questions or want to chat through your progress x

Lauren

Offline GillianKiely

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 22:30:23 pm »
Oh goodness I had written a whole response to this yesterday and I must have just hit preview instead of Post! So you can see I'm not getting much sleep still :) I will try to recreate it as best I can...

Meggy, I am happy to hear that it's not just happening at my house! It's easy to feel at fault when it's your every day. I don't have a lot of friends with children let alone babies either so it's helpful to hear. How are things going with your LO? Any tips? I will head over to the EASY board as well, what sort of subject should I be looking for?

Lolsyb1982. thank you for reiterating and supporting Meggy's observation on the 3-2 transition. I suspect you are both correct after looking the description that you linked in my post. What I realized while reading this was that I had not been including the 4s wind down and getting to sleep as part of the A time. So she has in fact been on more of a 2hr 20-30min schedule in actuality. When I realized this, I thought maybe I actually needed to decrease the time in case it was OT that we were battling... I quickly came to realize how WRONG that hunch was! We did a whole day of 20-30min naps... I know those are meant to signify OT but I think the first one was because of UT and then I kept trying to catch up all day met with disaster! Poor little dear was quite a state come bedtime.

So today I went back to our old schedule but tried to add about 10mins while factoring in the wind down and the getting to sleep.
The first nap of the day was great, she was down by 2hr 40min and slept for 1hr 15. The rest of the day however wasn't quite the same, the second nap was 35mins after 2hrs and 40mins A time and the third was 45mins after 2hr 30mins of A time. I'm not discouraged though, I'm sure it's just going to take some getting used to for her.

She doesn't feed every 2 hours in the day is the puzzling part, she happily goes 4-5 hours when she is busy playing or our doing errands. I'm not sure what it is at night.

Is there anything else I can do to help her self settle? I pat her bum less and less and try to stop all together just as she is drifting off before the jolts or the sigh. I try not to stay too long, although it is so lovely to drink in that peaceful little pile of love!

Also thank you for the praise, it's nice to hear that I am in fact doing a good job and not messing it all up.

Thank you again for the support!

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 6 month Waking woes
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 19:53:01 pm »
I think you're doing all you can to get her to self settle. Like you're doing gradually stop the patting after less time. You could always try laying her down and leaving the room to see how she settles on her own and go in if needed.
Lauren

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 16:10:58 pm »
Hi GillianKiely,

I'm so sorry that I missed your reply. How is everything going for you?

Offline GillianKiely

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 23:25:08 pm »
No problem Meggy!

Not much has changed. She is still up frequently in the night and I've been giving in to nursing her because I'm so exhausted. Her naps were great last week when we were away at my in laws place and one night grandma put her to bed and she slept 6 hrs straight!  It seemed like she was making that transition but once we returned home the 30 min naps returned as well. I'm hoping this is short term and just her getting back to normal here. The night wakings are killing me. I'm so tired I don't realize what I'm doing and I'm suddenly nursing her when I keep telling myself I'm not going to. DH still won't help. Not sure what to do at this point...

Offline Meggyfunk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 00:56:47 am »
I'm so sorry and completely understand how exhausting these times can be. I, too, gave in to nursing because in all honesty it was easier to just stick a boob in his mouth and get us all back to sleep sooner. The night wakings have always fallen into mommy's lap in our house as well and at times it can feel unfair. I did find that when nighttime sleep wasn't very good, it would also affect his daytime sleep and it became one exhausting cycle for us. You would think after crummy naps, they would be so exhausted that they would sleep for hours at night and that never seemed to be the case for us. I'll try and think of some words of wisdom to try and offer up that helped us. Hang in there! You are doing such an amazing job with your sweet girl and I'm so sorry that times are rough right now. What is that saying, the days are long but the years are short  :'(