Author Topic: 9 month old naps  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Donnarobbo88

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old naps
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:58:08 am »
Hi all just after a little advice
My dd is 9 months and the past two days he's having a long first nap which then means his afternoon nap is needed or wanted until late
So for example he got up at 5.55am today that's good for his as it's normally 5/5.30
He went for his nap at 9.45 we have recently been able to get to that wake time although he does sometimes still fall asleep in a morning on the school run depending on what time he woke up he won't nap long in his pram
But anyway so he was up at 5.55 went for a nap at 9.45 and is still asleep now at 11.50 he did excali the same yday I went in the room yday at 11.50 and he woke up but it then means his usual afternoon nap which has became short which he usually has at 2.30ish until 3/3.15 wen I wake him if he isn't awake isn't needed as obv he isn't tired he napped yday on the school run home for about 20/25 mins from about 3ish - 3.25
The thing is his bedtime is 6pm which is early ino but it works for us really as ds2 goes to bed at 6.30 he's 2 and he's suddenly decided he hates bed so I have to focus on him then ds3 goes at 7.30 he's 4
Having three young boys I love my evenings to myself for a bit of peace
I wouldn't mind ds1 going to bed slightly later tho if it ment he would always get up at 6am as I hate getting up at 5am lol. But a later bedtime has never made him sleep in later so I don't bother as he just then gets less sleep

This could just be a few days of a long morning nap but what would should I do cap the first nap so he can get a second nap at a decent time just accept a later nap and put him to bed later but I don't really want him in bed any later than 6.30pm
He still goes to bed at 6/6.15 perfectly even when he's napped until 3.15
Are they ment to have such a long first nap it's been over 2 hours now it's normally lunch time at 12 x

A usual day would be
5/5.30 awake
6am - some milk although he doesn't drink much
7ish - breakfast
9.30/9.45 nap which usually ended around 11
12 Lunch
2pm - bottle
2.30ish nap until 3/3.15 when I would usually have to wake him
4.30 his tea
6/615 bed time
He will wake once in the night and have a bottle although it's normally only 2/3oz some nights he will wake twice or more but he is teething also

He's just waking up as I've posted this
So he's napped from say 9.50 as he moaned for 5 mins
He's had 2 hours 10 mins which is a long nap considering he was always a cat napper

He obv will not last til 6pm tonight for bed but won't need a cat nap til late which will interfere with bedtime x
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:59:45 am by Donnarobbo88 »
Mommy To Three Boys
CJ 13/02/2012 9lb 5oz
Chad 04/03/2014 9lb 1oz
Cruz 12/01/2016 8lb 3oz

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: 9 month old naps
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 18:53:04 pm »
Hi!

Just seen this, how did the rest of the day go?

Sounds like the start of the 2-1 transition. So he's not ready for 1 nap but that long am nap is giving you a later, shorter 2nd nap.

Here's a useful link: From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

To answer your specific question about 2nd nap,  there is no definite answer, you just need to try different options and see which work best for you, your DS & fits in with rest of family.

9mo is really too young to cope with only 1 nap regularly so I think your options are either:
Do AM nap as long as he wants but then have a later pm nap but cut it shorter e.g. 15-20mins if you think you need to to maintain his usual BT.
Cap Am nap at 2hrs to try to get the CN in still and not have too long a day

Choose one option, try it for about a week. If it's not working, try the other option instead!

It is a messy transition and longer days and shorter nights are inevitable unfortunately,it's just trying to find the least awkward option!
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline Donnarobbo88

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9 month old naps
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 20:03:46 pm »
Thanks for ur advice Hun
The rest of the day went fine he had a cat nap in his buggy on the school run from about 3.05 - 3.25
And he was in bed for 6.20pm I would of left him till 6.30 but he was really grumpy and tired think his gums are hurting him and he wanted his bottle bless him
I will defo take ur advice and try the things you said think I might leave Him to nap and then just give him the short cat nap in the afternoon
x
Mommy To Three Boys
CJ 13/02/2012 9lb 5oz
Chad 04/03/2014 9lb 1oz
Cruz 12/01/2016 8lb 3oz