Author Topic: Swaddled and sucking at 9 weeks  (Read 1179 times)

Offline AngeMullan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 21, 2016, 19:36:46 pm »
My nine week old loves her pacifier at nap and bedtime and spits it out as she gets into a deeper sleep. My concern is that we deal with the 45 minute intruder at almost each naptine so she wakes up and, because she's swaddled, needs me to reinsert the pacifier. I heard it reduces the chance of SIDS and it definitely helps soothe her since being the little sis means the house isn't always quiet for nap time but I really don't want to have to sit by her bedside, reinserting it 2-3 times at each nap, before she falls back asleep. Im wondering if there's an easier way to help her sleep. At 9 weeks is it a sleep aid or is it a crutch? At nine weeks is it safe to let her cry it out? Or is it better to aid her until she's done with the swaddle and can suck on fingers or reinsert it herself? Help!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 20:07:43 pm »
Hi Hon!
In general this site is not supporting any ways of CIO and we believe there is no good age for that. Paci at this age is probably both a prop and a soothing method. But at 9wo and with being swaddled there is honestly not much alternative. So you either reinsert it or you can try to get rid of it but you have to be prepared that she is not going to soothe so easily and even more support from your side would be needed. I get rid of paci for those reasons at 3mo and DS's sleep/naps were much better but settling could be more of a trouble, especially for a catnap which became impossible and I could do it only in a pram. It got better at 4mo when we unswaddled.

In general I love not having a dummy now but until 3/4mo it was really a must here. DS was a sucky baby and we used it for soothing in the afternoon, for settling, in a car when he was upset, also to move some of his feeds at night. Getting rid of a dummy at age of 4/5/6mo is also rather easy so you have a lot of time to stop using it.
~Marta