Author Topic: WILL 2 NAPS OUT OF 4 IN A SLING FOR A 1MO CREATE PROBLEMS?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline mamatea4

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
WILL 2 NAPS OUT OF 4 IN A SLING FOR A 1MO CREATE PROBLEMS?
« on: November 03, 2016, 20:10:37 pm »
My third baby is 1 month old yesterday. Now that she's emerging from the newborn "constant sleep" phase, I'm having to spend more time in the nap ritual to ensure she has a good nap.

Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem. But I have 2 other children at home that require my care, they are not self-sufficient.

So the 1st-morning nap as well as an afternoon nap, (usually the catnap at dinner), seem to occur while I'm wearing her.

I'm worried that a couple naps a day in a sling will create a sleep association that will domino into a host of problems later or even begin to challenge her naps that she currently takes independently.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: WILL 2 NAPS OUT OF 4 IN A SLING FOR A 1MO CREATE PROBLEMS?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 20:17:56 pm »
This is exactly what I did with my DD (2nd child) & it didn't cause any problems. In fact we did all naps in the sling until she was 2mo, then started 2 out of 4 in the cot.

I just tried to be consistent. I did first and lunchtime nap in cot as I guessed these were ones she was likely to keep the longest.  She would sleep 2-3 hrs in the sling but only 30-40 mins in the cot, regardless of A time, swaddle, routine, dark, white noise etc.

I would alternate cot and sling naps so she had some long ones to avoid OT, so we could leave the house with her older brother and to give me a break, but also cot ones meant she was still learning those skills.

As she got older (closer to 4 or 5mo) she switched to only taking short sling naps but longer cot naps, so I was able to just go with cot naps
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline mamatea4

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: WILL 2 NAPS OUT OF 4 IN A SLING FOR A 1MO CREATE PROBLEMS?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 22:26:13 pm »
Awesome!

Great to know that you did this and how you implemented it. And it's a relief to know that it didn't create a problem in the long run.

Thanks for the feedback!