Author Topic: How to encourage independant sleep in 8month old.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Erica_a80

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to encourage independant sleep in 8month old.
« on: November 04, 2016, 13:52:42 pm »
Hi all
I am looking for some advice. I have posted on another board about my sons numerous night waking and am having some help with that. But I have a question about encouraging him to sleep without me being present.
Since about 4 months old he has needed me there to fall asleep at night and during waking, I used to nurse him to sleep but have weaned off that now, but he does still wake after every sleep cycle during the night, sometimes 9-10 times..
I have tried waiting for a while whilst he mantra cries but that always turns into a real cry because he wants me there to fall asleep. Sometimes I go in put my hand on his tummy and he goes back to sleep instantly, sometimes I am spending over an hour pu/pd or shushing him with a hand on his tummy.
My questions are:
When I initially put him to bed, if he is settled should I stay with him until he falls asleep so he builds some confidence or could I try and leave the room to see if he self settles? He stays asleep for longer periods if my partner puts him to bed and stays with him until he is asleep for some reason.
when he is mantra crying do I not intervene or enter his room at all? As they rarely end in him falling asleep on his own
With pick up put down once he has settled and is calm and my hand is on his tummy do I stay with him until he falls asleep as I feel this is hindering independent sleep. Also sometimes he wants to play and gets on all fours in his cot, again I feel my presence is encouraging this.
We have had two nights where he only woke twice since doing pick up put down but apart from that I dont feel like I am having much success with it.

Thanks in advance

Erica.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: How to encourage independant sleep in 8month old.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 13:51:03 pm »
Hi, sorry you are having difficulty with getting him to settle.

he does still wake after every sleep cycle during the night, sometimes 9-10 times..
Just before we consider sleep training, can I ask if he has any medical issues e.g. allergies or reflux which may be making it more difficult for him to stay asleep?  It's just that even for a LO with props this is a lot of wakings, and I would be looking for reasons other than or besides lack of independent sleep skills....

What is his current daytime routine?

Offline Erica_a80

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 15:09:14 pm »
He did have silent reflux when he was younger but has grown out of that now.
His daytime routine is being tweaked at the moment, but he usually has 3-3.15hr A times.  And 2 naps a day of between 30-90 mins each.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 13:13:54 pm »
I suppose routine-wise I'd be looking to maybe start extending some A times, 3h-3h15 is on the shorter side for some at 8 months.  But what about things like teething?  Reflux can often flare around those sort of times even if it was previously pretty settled.  Any new foods you've introduced which could be causing tummy upset?