Author Topic: 5 month old- naps going downhill  (Read 1369 times)

Offline annabelles.mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 09, 2016, 19:06:12 pm »
Hi there. Did BW with my daughter and it worked great. Doing it again for my son who will be 6 months in a week. Was doing great but about a week and a half ago naps started to get short (30-45 mins) out of nowhere. I've been pushing A time and I think I've found a decent time at 2.15 A time. The thing that is so uncharacteristic is all his crying and fussing before falling asleep. He used to go to sleep no problem, now it's lots of crying, sometimes up to an hour. The crying is seeming to be getting slightly better since tweaking A time but still not great.

NOTE:he has learned to roll front to back, starting to sit up, weaned from the swaddle and I think he's teething all in the past number of weeks. Needless to say his little body is super busy.

What I'd love to hear is if this is a normal phase that will hopefully go back to normal in awhile, or is this is a timing issue. We are on a 3.5 EASY as I can't get a 4 hour since his naps are so short.

It's usually something like:
E-6
A
S-8:15
E9:30
A
S-11:15
E-1
A
S-2:15
E-4:30
A
S-catnap in backpack
A
E-6:30
S-7 bedtime

This is very rough as routine is not working smoothly right now.

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 5 month old- naps going downhill
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 21:34:35 pm »
Hi there

It could be that he needs a little more A time than 2hr15. All that fighting at naptime sounds like it could be UT. The average at this age is around 2hr 30-3hrs. Might be worth trying another 15mins to see if he settles any easier?

I've attached a link for you which is a really handy reference to A times for the first 12 months.
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
Lauren

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 21:51:06 pm »
He might also be approaching the 3-2 transition: All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
He's almost 6mo, by which time some LOs are managing 2.5-3hrs A time and only 2 naps, if you get long ones.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 21:52:43 pm by Scottishmummy »
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline annabelles.mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 14:00:28 pm »
Thank you for this info. I will start trying these recommendations.

If he does have a short nap, should I still try for a longer A time, or shorten it slightly?

Offline Scottishmummy

• Showing Appreciation 47
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 19:50:16 pm »
It's trial and error really! Some LOs need a shorter A time after a short nap, some can manage full A time. I'd try consistent A times at first but then tweak if you need to
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD