Author Topic: Swaddle prop?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Raroo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 14, 2016, 22:09:39 pm »
Hi all
Lo is 4 months and we are having some prop issues. As a newborn, I had to swaddle LO as she's really touchy and would scream until swaddled. We are still doing a full swaddle for every nap and night but I feel like it is a prop as lo can wriggle out of even the tightest swaddle and as soon as so much as one finger nail appears at the top, I kid you not, she starts screaming and waving her hand to show she's out and no way will she settle. I would love to transition out of the swaddle but LO cannot sleep without it. Now as soon as she's swaddled I put her in her cot and she self settles to sleep.
Do you think I should get rid of it somehow and if so how or just keep at it and reswaddle every time lo wakes up in night or in the middle of a nap?thanks

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Swaddle prop?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:18:39 am »
My DD was swaddles until she was 5 months old.  I tried weaning it earlier but it was just a disaster.  There is no need to wean immediately if she's not ready, unless she is rolling onto her tummy in it and it's becoming a safety issue.  As for it being a prop...there are many reasons an LO can wake mid-nap so it is likely a case of her transitioning sleep cycles so she wriggles around a bit and it gets lose and she can't put herself back to sleep without it being tight. Honestly, if she is overall sleeping well with the swaddle I wouldn't necessarily jump to change anything, we have many mamas here who have swaddled until the 7th/8th month.