Author Topic: 6 weeks old son, easily overtired/overstimulated  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Fien

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 weeks old son, easily overtired/overstimulated
« on: November 20, 2016, 21:21:03 pm »
Hi everyone,
I need some advise. I started EASY with my first daughter when she was 6 weeks old and it was a great succes.
With my son, 4 weeks old, i started from day 1. Untill now, it was not a great succes and we had soms rough weeks here. I thought he suffered from reflux and colic, but now i know that he was actually overtired. The only thing we could do after hours of crying was going for a ride in the car and all of a sudden all so-called pain was gone and baby stopped crying within 2 minutes.

With my dauhgter, it only took us 3 days to have her on a good routine. Right now I don't have the courage to continue the sleep training, I'm hoping that once he passes the 6 weeks, it will al go a little more easy. Because of the lack of sleep and the stress & frustration during previous weeks, I choose to just put him in the slen baby carrier and walk around, instead of trying to implement the S of EASY. The time needed to calm him already diminishes, so he gets used to falling a sleep with the sush-pat. My plan is to do so until he's 6 weeks and then start the sleep training again, or to gradually move from what i do now to the sleep routine discribed in the book.
What do you think? Is this baby carrier soms kind of accidental parenting? (He is still so young...) Or is it ok to use this until he's six weeks (growth spurt) ?
Greetings!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
Re: 6 weeks old son, easily overtired/overstimulated
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:16:45 am »
Hi hun, hope you get some restful sleep. I know how hard it is with two. What I will tell you is something you probably already know. Every baby is completely different, and what worked for one probably wont' work for the other. He is only 6 weeks. I think the routine you did with your daughter was great but it may not work for him, and you won't know what works because he's only 6 weeks old. He's only just now going to be more consistent with his OT/OS cues. My own opinion is sort of ditch the idea of a set routine right now. Spend some time learning his sleepy cues, learning his OS cues. Putting him down when he's tired rather than what you think his A time should be.   If he's hungry feed him even if it's right before a nap. Give it a week or two and then see what's what.
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline Fien

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »
Thanks!
(i wrote a mistake; he is only 4 weeks, and my plan is to start easy again 6 weeks..)
And yes, I somehow know what you wrote there but i guess i needed to hear it from someone else. I'm so afraid of getting him used to be in that baby carrier that maybe I force him to much to sleep on his own.

Greetings!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 13:37:49 pm »
Hun, he's soooo little. Just let go a little. I am a routine FREAK. I thrive off it and live by it, and my son who is 4.5yrs old now still needs it. My daughter (now 7 months) would sleep wherever, whenever, no rhyme no reason and if I didn't let her all hell would break lose. It wasn't until closer to 8/10 weeks that she really started to show me her routine/sleepy cues. Give it some time and he will reveal it to you. You can loosely stick to the easy but know that it's going to get thrown off. Just enjoy this time with him. :)
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**