Author Topic: Advice please 8 week old 40 min nap  (Read 1728 times)

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 24, 2016, 18:46:16 pm »
Hi,
So my 8 week old has been doing 40-45 min naps. I leave him in his crib as he tries to transition to next cycle but it doesn't work, even if I try to help him or if I leave him.
I wait until it's time for his next feed which is every 3 hours. But then he wants to falls asleep on the bottle.
So my 2 questions are...
How long do I leave him in his crib to try to fall asleep again? Wait until next feed or sooner bc he did a short nap?
And how much A time do I give him after feed if he has only napped 45 min? Bc by the time I feed him it would have been already 1 hour passed for him trying to fall asleep again in his crib.

He usually gets tired at 1hr 10 min.

Offline Rawans

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 11:16:48 am »
Same here just posted almosted the same scenario fory 7 weeks old!! What i do, not that im an expert is try to rock him to sleep again since 1) he didnt have good sleep 2) by the time the feeding comes he will be overtired! Im not sure though that this is right and was hoping some one advises

Offline Scottishmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 47
Re: Advice please 8 week old 40 min nap
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 15:28:08 pm »
Hi!

Sorry you've not had a reply yet, it is quieter on here during holidays and I have been away with my family.

Short naps are really common at this age. Lots of people end up doing a EAS AEAS pattern.

You say he gets tired after 1hr10. How long is his total A time usually? Eyes open on waking to eyes closed for next sleep?

Have you tried w2s? Going in before his typical wake time and holding/patting and sh-I have through sleep cycle transition to try to keep him asleep? That's sometimes more effective than resettling after waking.

If mine had short naps I used to try to resettle for 15-20mins only. Neither of mine would stay in cot alone fur rest of nap so I got them up and just did normal or slightly shorter A time (e.g. -10 or 15mins)and then the next nap. That meant either feeding mid-awake time often, or before the nap but with a short activity e.g. Nappy change to separate nap from feed. Occasionally I tried nap without feeding in that A time and fed on waking.

HTH. Feel free to post your last few days in EASY format if you want to chat through a bit more xxx
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 15:21:48 pm »
Sorry I haven't replied in awhile, but he started doing 2 hour naps!! I don't know what changed.
So great naps lasted for 2 week but now he's 10 weeks and starting again with 45 min naps.
Is it time to increase Awake time?
His wake time has been 1hr 5-10 min and goes down nicely.
But now he cries just before falling asleep for about 2 minutes. But falls asleep quickly.
He wakes at 45 min just staring around the room and cooing.
Is this a sign to give longer wake time? If so, how much should I increase by?

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 18:23:54 pm »
Hi

Glad naps improved for you, for a while at least!

Here's a helpful link re A times: Average A times- BOOKMARK ME! Your LO's are slightly short for his age, you could try a 10min increase and see if that helps.

Could also be another developmental leap though which might also give you more hassle settling and shorter naps
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 18:30:16 pm »
Ok thanks
Do I increase every nap by 10min??

Offline mariarico

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 15:26:16 pm »
Ok so I increased his nap by 10 min but he did a 50min nap and woke happy. What does that mean??? lol it's so hard to figure this out!

Offline Scottishmummy

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 21:23:32 pm »
Stick with the same increased A times for a few days and see what happens.
"Touchy/Spirited" DS

"Textbook" DD