Author Topic: 18 mo, demanding about nursing  (Read 1472 times)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
18 mo, demanding about nursing
« on: December 31, 2016, 15:42:07 pm »
My older two stopped nursing at a younger age so I don't know much about this stage when it comes to breastfeeding. DD2 has continued to nurse basically on demand. Generally when she wakes up, when I get home from work and before bed. Sometimes over night but that depends a lot on illness, etc.

I had wanted to stop around 12 months but in a gradual and not harsh way. I figured it would taper off as she ate more food and ran around. We were going on two vacations over the summer so I let her continue while we were away which worked out really well in the heat and being out of our routine, etc. I teach so I was back to work in September and I thought it would again taper off and just stop totally, but it hasn't.

As much as I had wanted to stop, truthfully, I don't mind continuing because she is my last baby and I really have no issue with her wanting to nurse.

The only annoyances are that she can be very demanding. She pulls at my shirt and cries "Milk! Milk!". She has been known to claw at me trying to pull my shirt or dress up. I picked her up from daycare once and she wanted to nurse. I told her she'd have milk at home and it was time to go bye bye and she got so upset she ran away from me and hid in a corner yelling "No!" until I agreed to nurse her first before we left. She also likes having both of my breasts out so she can switch back and forth like it's an open buffet. I have to wear nursing appropriate clothing or otherwise half strip my entire outfit to nurse. It can become somewhat embarrassing.

Also, she really doesn't want DH at night because he doesn't have the comfort of nursing that I provide.

She eats well and drinks from a cup. Though if I offer her a cup when she wants milk I receive a firm "NO!" She will sometimes take a cup instead but I think there's a difference between thirst and seeking comfort. She takes a pacifier but if she wants nursing she'll refuse her pacifier as well.

I guess I just sort of want to know if anyone has any tips for how to curtail the demanding nature of her nursing.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 18 mo, demanding about nursing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 21:43:03 pm »
Personally I just say no to whatever I'm not comfortable with. My DD has done similar but I've just stood my ground the first few times so she knows when I say no I mean it. It's just like with any other form of discipline (learning) really, if you have rules you just need to enforce them gently and fairly but firmly. You wouldn't give in to sweets because a child threw a tantrum so BFing is no different really. As long as you do it in a kind and loving way just know that it's ok to say no
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 21:10:44 pm »
I think being firm is not my strong suit and you've hit the nail on the head. Reading it in writing from someone else's POV really makes it stand out that it has to be ME to say no. ::)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 21:32:02 pm »
It can be easier at this age to just create a set rule like only mummy's milk in the house and just stick to it. But otherwise I agree with Ali it's just a matter of saying no and following through and I'd say she'll learn quickly when she can and can't have it! Monkey 😝

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 18:00:18 pm »
Thank you, ladies, for your feedback. I will definitely work in some rules for my little milk monkey.

:)