Author Topic: Need a refresher... baby #3 coming  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Need a refresher... baby #3 coming
« on: January 10, 2017, 13:24:14 pm »
Baby#3 is (hopefully) here soon. What I can't remember is how often/ regular you breastfeed in the beginning?
Is it every two hours in the newborn stage, on demand at the hospital, and then a three hour rhythm at home?
Gosh, I can't remember!!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 16:50:39 pm »
In general they say on demand - all the time.

My experience was every 3h through day and night in the hospital so 8 feeds a day as both of my LOs were 3kg+ and didn't wake in between. After 3 days we were at home and I fed 3h daily and let only 2 feedings per night as I don't wake so I had 7 feeds per 24h. I checked weight 2-3x already and feeding every 3h and 2x at night is enough here as we are still growing in percentile in terms of weight. So if LO wakes at 1.5-2h mark in the middle of a nap I don't feed but resettle. However if LO wakes closer to 3h I would think it's hunger. Currently not happening however:).
~Marta

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Need a refresher... baby #3 coming
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 20:08:16 pm »
Breast milk is digested in 1.5hrs, so really anything over that time I would offer a feed.

At the beginning, feed as frequently as you feel baby wants it. It will space out in time, but you need to establish your supply first.

And all babies are different. DS1 wanted more feeds in a 24hr period, DS2 wanted a looong cluster feed. Once they both spaced themselves out, I still couldn't get DS2 to go 3hrs until he started on solids. Turns out that he eats an absolute ton, so that's why!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015