Author Topic: 2 year sleep regression??  (Read 1724 times)

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 21, 2017, 12:27:52 pm »
Hi All,

I posted recently about early wakings and haven't heard much so I'm wondering if people have any tips for managing the 2 year sleep regression (which I'm assuming this is....)

DD is 22 months and has been pretty consistently a good sleeper.  Goes down super easy for bed and naps.  Was doing the following schedule for awhile:

WU: 630/645
Nap: 12-2
BT 715/730

Then she started waking a bit earlier, like 615...so BT was back to 7.

But for the past couple weeks, she has been waking earlier and earlier! Now, it's pretty consistently between 5 and 520.  I am definitely not ready for her at this time, so I go in, tell her it's time for sleep and I'll see her in the morning.  And she stands and WAILS until we get her at 6.  It's awful.

My predicament is that I don't know whether to bump nap and BT later or if that is going to perpetuate OT?  I've been putting her down for naps closer to 1230- she only sleeps 1 hr 10 mins-1 hr 30 mins.  But wake up at 5 to nap at 1230 seems like a LONG stretch?  and then 130-7?  She hasn't been fighting going down for nap or BT so i don't think shes UT at those times...she doesn't babble in her crib or anything.  Maybe rolls around a little for a few mins.

I would really love for her to get some more sleep (and us too- I'm pregnant and exhausted)

Does anyone have suggestions for our schedule? Right now it's looking like

WU: 5/530
Nap: 1230-145
BT: 7/710

Also, any suggestions for managing those EW?

Thanks all

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 2 year sleep regression??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 14:17:09 pm »
Hello

I am definitely not ready for her at this time, so I go in, tell her it's time for sleep and I'll see her in the morning.  And she stands and WAILS until we get her at 6.  It's awful.
For this bit, does she get some kind of indication when it is OK to get up?  I mean something like a gro clock or lights on a timer (which come on when it's OK to get up).  If not, I'd really suggest trying one as that could help a lot with her waiting until a more reasonable WU time.

WU: 5/530
Nap: 1230-145
BT: 7/710
So she's getting about 10 hours of night sleep and 1hr15 of nap.

I think your nap timing and length is OK and I wouldn't move it (although if you do get nap resistance ever, you might have to move it later).  Moving it later *might* get you a longer nap, but at this age I don't think that would help, you'd still probably get the same length night (or shorter).  What you really want is more night sleep.

I'd suggest trying a gro clock/lights on a timer first to see if you can extend her night like that.  Then, if that doesn't work, then I'd suggest moving BT a little later.

There are some tips here if you need them:
Gro-Clock / Lights on a timer: What, Why, When and How

How is her mood during the day?  Does she seem more tired or is she OK?  Could she be getting her 2nd yr molars?  That could cause EWs if they're on the move..
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:25 am »
It was molars that caused EWing around age 2 with both of my LOs. Once they popped through things settled own on their own without any tweaking needed.

If you don't think it's molars, I second the gro-clock suggestion.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline eogan0622

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 19:16:13 pm »
Thanks for your advice.  No sign of molars but she has been working on her canines for a couple weeks.  Do you think we should tough it out or go for gro clock?  She has been waking up between 5/530 EVERY MORNING for 2 weeks...still going to bed at 7...and only napping 1 hour- 1 hour 10 mins!!! I feel like we're in a bad overtired place...and I'm really concerned she's not getting enough sleep. 

Should I do the gro clock regardless of teething? And/or bump bedtime earlier to 630/645?

Ugh.

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:51:44 am »
Canines also wreaked havoc with sleep for my LOs. I thinking bumping BT a bit earlier is worth a shot. I'd try it for a few days and see if it helps.

Do you think she'd respond well to a gro-clock or is it going to be tough to implement?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
sounds like teeth are making sleep trickier ATM, so possibly not the best time to introduce a gro clock :-\

I agree if she's getting OT then I'd try an earlier BT for a bit.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old