Author Topic: Feeds with a 2 nap routine  (Read 2190 times)

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Feeds with a 2 nap routine
« on: March 29, 2017, 21:35:52 pm »
My LO is nearly 6 months (no solids yet)
I am struggling to find the right BF schedule.

She did well with the 4h routine, but now her AT have increased to 2.75-3h with 1.5-2h naps. We can no longer follow the EASY structure as we would far surpass the 4h timing between feeds.

Generally I have heard that people will top up their LO an hour or so after main feed. My LO is a very impatient, distracted eater and I struggle to get good feeds out of her. Since I moved to the top up method it seems she takes even less.

Anybody else struggle with this? Any tips?

We plan to start introducing solids this weekend.

*Note: my LO and I have struggled with BF from the get go. It has taken a lot of help and tears to get to 6 months of exclusive BF. Anytime I think their is a regression in her feeding it is extremely stressful and emotional*

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Feeds with a 2 nap routine
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:21:55 am »
(((hugs))) and well done for BFing for this long! 

Could you post your LO's typical routine in terms of BFs, WU and nap times? 

It may be that moving the top-up feed a little later might help (so just a v short A time after it before her nap), she probably isn't really hungry for it just an hour after a "main" feed, or perhaps she doesn't need a top-up so often.  Or you could try splitting a BF so it is one side before nap, other side after nap.

It can be tricky at this age fitting in feeds and naps, when they seem to need both at the same time!  It tends to get a little easier once solids are started I find though (which I guess you will be starting soon), as they can then go a bit longer between BF/milk feeds and you can just do them on WU from naps, first thing in the morning, and at BT.

Is she BFing at night?

Have you had a look at the sample routines?  there might be some ideas for you there:
chronological EASY samples, 4-6 months
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:23:27 am by cath~ »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:53 am »
Thanks for your response!

Our nap and AT are fairly consistent we are in the middle of a 3-2 transition and most days now she has  no cat nap. As for the BF I find it changes depending on her night feed. I will show you an example:

(After a 4:15 am feed)
7:00 WU/AT
8:00-8:15 BF
AT
10:00 nap
1130-1200 WU
1200 BF
AT - top up ~ 1:30
230-245 nap
4:00-445 WU
4:30-4:45 BF
AT
6:30-7:00 BF and BT
Dream feed 11:00
All feeds from top up on become short...
* This is a pretty good day.. but it is infinitely more challenging when she wakes earlier at night to feed. Then I BF at wake up and have to top up usually at 9 I hour before nap*

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:40:29 pm »
... to the other part of your response. My LO has an aversion to my left side. She always preferred right side, but now she rarely eats on left side. So I am basically a single sided feeder. Which I find especially challenging in eve before bed when flow is lower and I try to top her up only short time after feed. My LO does not like a slow flow :(

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 21:06:16 pm »
Have you tried breast compressions?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 21:46:17 pm »
I found breast compressions worked until she was about 4 months. Now feeding my squirmy LO usually requires both hands at the ready. The only time I can use them is when she is already drinking happily :(

Offline cath~

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:08:04 am »
(After a 4:15 am feed)
7:00 WU/AT
8:00-8:15 BF
AT
10:00 nap
1130-1200 WU
1200 BF
AT - top up ~ 1:30
230-245 nap
4:00-445 WU
4:30-4:45 BF
AT
All feeds from top up on become short...
* This is a pretty good day.. but it is infinitely more challenging when she wakes earlier at night to feed. Then I BF at wake up and have to top up usually at 9 I hour before nap*

The feeds are probably small from the top-up onwards as she's probably just not that hungry (the top-up is only 1.5hrs after the 12.00 BF..).  What about if you tried stopping offering a top-up and just did something like:
1200 BF
AT
230-245 nap
4:00-445 WU & BF
AT

On the whole though (and if you find you need to keep a pre-nap top-up to stop her waking hungry), personally I would try not to worry too much about having a number of short feeds later in the day.  It's probably just a short stage you will pass through and, once on solids, you'll most likely be able to drop any "top-up" feeds and just feed at pretty regular times, e.g. 4 times/day.   Do you think you'll be starting solids soon?

Have you ever tried dropping the DF?  What happens then?  Maybe she'd take bigger feeds in the day if you didn't do a NF.  Having said that though, 2 NF is perfectly OK at this age. 
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:30:43 am »
Just started solids this weekend right now only once a day 1 h post AM feed, so that top up is gone. By later this week I may add the second solids so that may as you said eliminate the need for the top up.

I have accidentally forgot to do a dream feed a couple times (falling asleep) it was never a problem. Recently she wakes prior to dream feed or around that time. Could be a phase for sure.

I am just always worried that my LO is not getting enough food :(

We have her 6 month appointment today hopefully we will get some reassurance there.

Thanks!

Offline cath~

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:35:25 am »
I hope you get some reassurance at your appointment.  Is she particularly small for her height then?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 13:28:06 pm »
She has always been around 10% for weight and 25% for length. She has stayed there steadily. My husband and I are both short and thin, so my DR. Has always been happy. I am just a paranoid mamma b/c I struggled with BF so much

Offline cath~

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 10:03:19 am »
((hugs)) it's hard when you're worried about your LO's weight.  But if your doctor is happy, and your LO is happy, then it sounds like you really don't need to worry about it.  LOs tend to let you know if they need more food and it sounds like you're doing a great job. 

She looks adorable in your avatar by the way :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline LaraAndrea

• BW Devotee
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 11:40:51 am »
Thanks!
It turns out she is 25% for length and weight. The 10% was when she lost weight post birth.

I guess it is natural to worry. The LC would say, she may be growing and happy but it looks like she wants to be drinking more. Which was really demoralizing to me.

I just need to relax and go with it.

Offline cath~

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
It turns out she is 25% for length and weight.

sounds like she is spot on then :)

The LC would say, she may be growing and happy but it looks like she wants to be drinking more. Which was really demoralizing to me.
That doesn't sound like such a helpful thing to say to me... :-\

(((hugs)))

yes, relax and go with it sounds like a good plan :)  I hope you can do that x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old