Author Topic: What does an early BT mean?  (Read 1438 times)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 05, 2017, 05:06:39 am »
LO is about 11months.

The schedule looks like this but its a work in progress

715-730 wu
1030/44 n1 for 1hr
n2 3hrs later depending on when he wakes up
700-730bt

if he only sleep for 30/45 mins or even 2 1hr naps, he seems to resist sleep at bt and I guess that's due to ot.

1. what time should an early bedtime be?

2. also, if he resists so much at bedtime and sleeps around 8pm, when should the nap1 be if I keep wu the same?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: What does an early BT mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 20:27:23 pm »
An early bedtime is really anything earlier than usual bedtime.  It's a bit of trial and error but the aim is to get LO to bed before they get OT and hopefully they will tack on any missed sleep to their nights.  Perhaps for you that might be around 6.30pm, often 30-60 mins earlier than regular BT.   But sometimes on total disaster nap days a super-early bedtime can really help - even as much a 1.5-2h earlier.  Just depends what your LO needs and can manage at night.  For one of mine EBT worked great, she would tack on sleep and do a really long night (sometimes 13h+).  For DS though his standard night is more like 11h so realistically expecting him to do much more than 11.5, 12h on a very rare occasion would backfire. 

After a short nap or disturbed night, I would still aim for first nap at around the same time as usual, but be prepared to put down a touch earlier (say 15 mins or so) if LO is struggling  :)

Offline airam

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 05:26:03 am »
An early bedtime is really anything earlier than usual bedtime.  It's a bit of trial and error but the aim is to get LO to bed before they get OT and hopefully they will tack on any missed sleep to their nights.  Perhaps for you that might be around 6.30pm, often 30-60 mins earlier than regular BT.   But sometimes on total disaster nap days a super-early bedtime can really help - even as much a 1.5-2h earlier.  Just depends what your LO needs and can manage at night.  For one of mine EBT worked great, she would tack on sleep and do a really long night (sometimes 13h+).  For DS though his standard night is more like 11h so realistically expecting him to do much more than 11.5, 12h on a very rare occasion would backfire. 

After a short nap or disturbed night, I would still aim for first nap at around the same time as usual, but be prepared to put down a touch earlier (say 15 mins or so) if LO is struggling  :)

Thanks!

Also, sometimes LO resists nap2 so much that he naps until 430 for an 45 or an hour...when should bedtime be? should I keep it at 7pm? I usually try 730 for a 3hr a time but I think he's either ut or ot (I cant tell which) and he resists until 8pm/830pm. last night it was until 820pm.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: What does an early BT mean?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 18:29:29 pm »
It sounds like you have some 2-1 issues starting.  If he is consistently refusing/resisting the second nap you could think about waking him from the first nap a bit sooner to make sure he is tired enough to go down again.  Or if you can get the nap at around 4.30, perhaps limit it to 30 mins or so to ensure he will still go down for a 7.30pm bedtime?  Check out the 2-1 FAQs too x