Author Topic: Hard to sleep at night and stir like crazy in the early morning  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Bori21

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I'm 5 month old boy's mother who has just successfully done sleep training for him. Recently, I've extend his A time as he gets 1 more month old now (from 1,75-2h to 2-2,5h) and it was hard for him to get into sleep with the old A time. Here is his schedule

7h-7h30: wake and eat
7h30-9h: A time
9h-10h30: nap
10h30-11h: wake and eat
11h-13h: A time
13h-15h: nap
15h-17h15: A time
17h15-17h45: nap
17h45-19h: A time
19h: eat

And here is the prob, after eating at 19h, he falls asleep as he shuts his eyes and keep quiet. But when I put him down, he stays there for 5-10 minutes then wakes. Then it takes 1-1,5 hour for him to settle down and sleep (be4 extending his A time, he sleeps at 7h40-8h, but now at 8h30). Then he wakes at 1am to feed. And damn it, another 1-1,5 hour to get back to sleep. Then around 4 to 6am, he stirs like crazy and semi awake, I mean he cant sleep tight in the early morning. I dont know what's wrong with his schedule or he is just so bad at self settling?

One more clue, in nap time, its not like he sleep traight through the time, he catnaps and semi awake but then immediately closes his eyes and sleeps, but sometimes he doesnt sleep tight as well (doesnt take another sleep cycle), its like a chain of REM sleepings  ???

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: Hard to sleep at night and stir like crazy in the early morning
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 18:22:37 pm »
And here is the prob, after eating at 19h, he falls asleep as he shuts his eyes and keep quiet. But when I put him down, he stays there for 5-10 minutes then wakes.

So he's falling asleep while eating? Does he eat after his CN at 5:45? And is your Bedtime goal 7:00?

WHat do you do when he's trying to go back to sleep

4-6am is notoriously a light sleep phase... so ANYTHING can interfere with being able to go back to sleep.  In our area, it started getting light out sooner so I keep hearing about babies/toddlers waking earlier than usual.  Can you think of anything that might be disturbing him around this time?

Discomfort can also make babies restless at night... is he teething at all?

Offline Bori21

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:14:46 am »
Sorry, I mean he's sleepy while eating. He ate only once at 1am. My bedtime goal is around 7.30 to 8h as if he sleeps later than 8h, he wakes more often like hes a little overtired =.= yesterday he didnt sleep until 9pm!!! And he kept waking at 10, 11, 2am (to feed), 5am and then fully woke at 6h20!!! I'm really annoyed right now!

When hes trying to get back to sleep, I just let him do, or sometimes, pat him and saying some encouraging words that he should go back to sleep.

2 months ago, he stayed in his grandparents house for 3 weeks, and the habit of waking early in the morning started from that time. At around 4h30-6h, the cocks were crowing like crazy and i'm not sure if this is the reason @@

And yes, he is teething :( the first two incisors and they're 1mm out of the gum
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 10:13:03 am by Bori21 »

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 18:41:19 pm »
When does he turn 6 months? Has he increased his feedings during the day as well?

It's possible his body got used to waking so early, especially if he was doing so for 3 whole weeks of his short sweet life.

I would've suggested medicating for the teething, but since they've broken through the gums, the worst is over.  Unless there are other teeth bulging under the gums?

When hes trying to get back to sleep, I just let him do, or sometimes, pat him and saying some encouraging words that he should go back to sleep.
Sounds good, so continue to be consistent with each waking in the night except for possibly 2 times, 3 hours apart you feel he should have a feeding. We know he doesn't need to feed every hour, so use the patting and sleepy phrase to help him back to sleep if you've been successful with that.

How has the past week been? If it has improved, more likely than not it was teething and a growth spurt.