Author Topic: Night waking but not sure why  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Hoofbeat

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:49:46 am »
My DS is 16wkd and I've been very slowly trying to get him on an EASY routine for last few weeks. We are slowly getting there as I've been experimenting a bit with A time.

He goes to bed at 7pm, and used to sleep through until 6ish but recently we've hit the 4month sleep regression a bit early and he tends to wake twice now. He doesn't yet have a DF (we tried to implement one in the past but he would never stir enough to eat) and tends to wake anywhere between 2:30-3:45 first. When he wakes he lies there relatively quietly making the odd "squeak" (his new voice he's discovered during the day which he does when happy) and sucking his hand frantically. He doesn't really cry out for us. We've tried leaving him a while (30mins this morning!) to see if he'll self settle but he just continues to make the odd little noise, kick his feet (he is not swaddled) and suck his habd.

I'm at a loss as to how I should handle this. I'm inclined to leave him given he isn't crying and showing no obvious cues, but equally he can't ever settle himself back to sleep. We've tried feeding him, in which case he feeds well and then goes back to sleep til about 5:30 at which point we shush pat him back on and off until 7am. We've also tried shush patting him back to sleep (then he does start crying but it still doesn't always sound like a feed cry time) and then he wakes at 5:30 starving!

Do you think he could be hungry (and that's why he's sucking his hands) or would you hold off on feeding him because he's not actually crying?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:39:14 am »
I would assume that at that age 1NF would be a great result especially if you are breastfeeding. With a good day routine in terms of feeding sometimes he might STTN but he will need this night feed probably until 6mo. Both of my sons could go without a feed around 11-12h or with a teeing tiny DF of 30-60ml, but around 10-12 weeks they got back to needing 1 night feed. Sometimes with this feed they were not very hungry in the morning but many times they needed that so I continued with first son until the moment he constantly refused morning feed. Sucking hands and no crying doesn't mean that he is starving, mine does is just after the feed many times but if you say he can be settled but wake 1-2h later very hungry maybe it's worth feeding him and sleep longer.

Re more NW - have you considered your routine maybe be wrong?
~Marta

Offline Hoofbeat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 09:43:55 am »
Well last night after feeding him at 3:30 (after leaving him to see if he'd settle after 30mins) he slept through til 7am so I think our routine is definitely heading in the right direction.  I think you're right that maybe he is waking hungry but not desperate for food which is why he isn't screaming.

I think I'll continue assuming if he wakes and doesn't self settle that he's hungry if he hasn't been fed in awhile.

ETS: I'm not expecting him to STTN at this stage(although he has a few times) but t was more that I wasn't sure if it was right to feed him if he wasn't explicitly asking for food.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:46:59 am by Hoofbeat »

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 17:28:44 pm »
Oooo no, sorry if I sounded like that if I suggest that you might think like that. I would just feed him with this NF or DF if it's working for you.
~Marta

Offline Hoofbeat

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 18:10:55 pm »