Author Topic: 13 mo and I'm wondering if I have less milk than I should  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
13 mo and I'm wondering if I have less milk than I should
« on: April 27, 2017, 17:45:03 pm »
First, I know what you are thinking... "mom's shouldn't even think this question." And that's what I have always believed till now...

OK so my first LO self weaned at 16 mo when I was 20weeks pregnant and we had just done a 1 month overseas trip. I tried to get him back on, but it was a very slow decline, I just realized one day that there wasn't really the milk, and he wasn't that interested.

Anyway take two and we are at 13 mo with LO#2.

His early days of feeding were tricky as his tongue tie was only diagnosed at 5 weeks and so I think the early sucking wasn't so strong. (I have heard experts talk about that early time being important for long term feeding.)

LO is very healthy and his weight has recently gone above his normal curve. (He likes his solids.)

However, I have been giving him water at night after his BF because he just doesn't seem to drink that much milk most times, and he wants the water.

BF 6am and 6:30pm and then usually 11am and 3pm, but sometimes just once in the day. with some sporadic cows milk if not bf.

I'm not interested in pumping to see how much I have - I disagree with tracey that that works - but maybe its because my pump is horrible.

comments? thoughts?

Should I just "let it go" I was really hoping to get to 2yr with both boys and it's not looking so great!

Thanks!

Karla

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 13 mo and I'm wondering if I have less milk than I should
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 20:00:44 pm »
Check out out FAQ on low suppy for details of how to increase supply. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=263550.0

We don't recommend the pump yield test anymore as it isn't a reliable indicator of supply, especially with an older LO.

The longer you feed the more concentrated the nutrients get as your body knows LO will be taking less milk than previously. So it can be less thirst quenching than before too but your LO will still be getting alL the good stuff.

Keep going and maybe offer extra feeds if your LO wants them and you're happy to obliged.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 20:56:33 pm »
Thanks Ali!

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 21:01:13 pm »
Are you sure that was the right link?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 22:21:35 pm »
Yes. It's called Are you sure you have low supply?  At the end there is info on what to do if the answer is yes.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Crispysage

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:38:01 am »
Ok thanks!