Author Topic: Loss of appetite  (Read 18908 times)

Offline Kimbayley

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 00:54:25 am »
Also fighting all day naps so needs all the sleep he can get!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Loss of appetite
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:36 am »
Yeah, fair enough. I think you've a thread about that so I won't go off topic here :)

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 09:26:00 am »
Thx

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 20:47:42 pm »
Hi again BecJ

Sorry to bother you again. Trying the DF at 10. So the first night was great. DF -at 10pm, next feed at 4. I think he could have gone even longer and I went in slightly before he was fully awake.
The last two nights he has woken between 2 & 230. Knowing that he has previously done 5.5-6 hours every night, I have just kept him going with settling & dummy until 330 to try get him used to that being his long sleep. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do or am I just being cruel? It just seems crazy that after a dream feed he is now waking after 4 hours only so that means getting up twice a night after DF. Last night even after being pushed to 330, he only took 90ml of his 120ml. I will be continuing to try with the dream feed regardless.

What do you think? Thanks again for your help. As you can probably tell, I am quite an anxious mum!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 04:06:32 am »
We are all anxious to some extent, especially with our first baby ;)

Could be you've tried this and it coincides with a growth spurt, could be that its disrupting his sleep - There's a recommendation somewhere that DF is I think between 3-4hr after LO goes to sleep for the night so it doesn't mess with their sleep cycles.

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:04 am »
Haha. Not my first! Did BW with my first but 5 years ago & forgotten everything!!

LO back to taking only 60 ml at some feeds so although 3 hourly volumes range from 60-120ml

Offline becj86

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 04:24:30 am »
Eh, They're all different, right?!

Still happy, gaining and plenty of wet nappies? If so, maybe just wait it out. He's highly unlikely to starve himself. Any discomfort/reflux? Just wondering as sometimes reflux can have babies taking less milk than they need once they associate it with pain.

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 04:34:57 am »
I did ask Dr to check for reflux. He says no as my LO seems quite happy on his back. He does fidget a lot though, even when asleep. He only cries when he wants his dummy in or if Im feeding him and stop to burp!
Yes, lots of wet nappies etc. Just a bit strange but maybe he was going through a spurt when I initially put him on bottle which may be why he had so much. I guess I just got used to him taking that amount, now I worry, especially if it is before I put him down for the night as I want him to have a full belly!!
Yes they are different  :)

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 02:42:01 am »
Hi again BecJ
Just wondering. Does it matter if LO is awake for DF? He won't eat otherwise so hubby wakes him. He normally falls asleep towards the end of it again
Thx

Offline becj86

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 08:41:00 am »
Yeah - its not a DF if that's the case... the point of it is to not interrupt the sleep.

If you're staying up to do the DF, you're possibly better off going to bed and waiting til he wakes on his own.

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 19:47:54 pm »
Good morning
Well last night did DF. Again he needed waking. He then barely lasted 4 hours! So he used to last 5-7 hours & now barely 4. I'm seriously thinking it may be better to do as you suggested & just drop that DF! Who would have thought that adding an extra feed would make him last less time?

Offline becj86

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 21:27:41 pm »
Its actually incredibly common - DF works for some and not for others. Its worth a try for a week but if its costing you sleep and not achieving the intended objective, don't keep going, yk?

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 21:49:47 pm »
Thx
Just so frustrating. Tomorrow is a week so we will see

Offline Kimbayley

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 07:24:40 am »
I think his lack of naps is affecting his eating... I may be wrong.
He is currently often only taking 30 ml then refusing the bottle. I have to sit with him & burp him and change his nappy then try again. He may then take another 30. Then I think that he has finished, then 20 min or so later he acts hungry & gets wingey. If I haven't thrown away the formula and it is within the hour, I offer him more and he may take another 30 ml. This happened yesterday and at least 3 times today. What do you think I should do? I don't want to create a snacker. I am trying really hard to get his naps right but no luck. Not sure if this is just over tiredness so he can't eat well?

Offline becj86

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:25 am »
I really think you need to reassess the possibility of reflux. Do you think this feeding issue is getting worse?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=170608.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=175920.0

I think if that is the case, you get the milk in when and how you can and don't worry so much about snacking.