Author Topic: 2 month old wont afternoon nap + bedtime questions  (Read 1390 times)

Offline MamaBergs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2 month old wont afternoon nap + bedtime questions
« on: May 24, 2017, 00:17:14 am »
Hello wise and wonderful people!

I've been on the EASY routine for a few weeks now and mostly it is a success. My two month old sleeps through the night and has one definite nap during the morning but wont consistently have a nap in the afternoon. Resulting in being overtired and wanting to comfort feed. My current routine:

6.00am I wake her then Feed/activity til sleepy cues
7.30am Sleep
10.00am she wakes up (i dont wake her) then feed/activity til sleepy cues
11.30am Sleep
12.30pm she wakes up then feed/activity til sleepy cues
**From here i attempt multiple naps until she reaches overtired and just wants to comfort feed and nap 5-10mins here and there. Alternating from tired to happy and wanting to chat.
9.00pm feed (bottle with dad)
9.30pm ish ... sleep
2.30am dream feed

I would love some suggestions on how to get that afternoon sleep in. I know her first nap is 2.5 hours im just worried about waking her sooner as its the only 100% consistent daytime nap for her and its also my only "solo time".

I also would love some clarification on bedtime... what time should the official night time bedtime routine be? Also how many feeds does she need between the bedtime and morning start time (ie currently 6am) to make sure she doesnt wake up hungry in the night?

Thank you so much :)

Mama to two under 1.5

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 2 month old wont afternoon nap + bedtime questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 17:44:57 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

It looks like your 2 month old can manage a longer than normal A time if she is already doing 1hr 30 before her first and second naps.
How long an A time do you give her after the second nap?  Is it another 1hr 30?  Is she showing sleepy signs then?

Is she basically awake with just a few little 5-10 min naps here and there from 12.30 all the way to 9.30pm?  Or is do you do bed time before that?

Are you sleep training at the same time or is she already falling to sleep independently?

I also would love some clarification on bedtime... what time should the official night time bedtime routine be?
The routines generally allow for a 12hr night so for you it would be 6 - 6 but not all babies sleep a full 12hrs so it could be that some have a longer night and some shorter.  the rest of the day routine would be worked around LOs individual needs.

Also how many feeds does she need between the bedtime and morning start time (ie currently 6am) to make sure she doesn't wake up hungry in the night?
It's totally normal for a 2 month old to be hungry in the night. LOs this age will take at least one NF (night feed) in addition to a DF (dream feed).  It is less common for a LO this age to get through on only the DF although not totally unheard of.
Feeding every 3hrs in the day would be usual and every 3hrs at night can also be normal, some will have established a longer stretch of sleep at night so might go 4 or 5hrs between E over night.  As you are getting roughly 5hr 30 between E at night this is fine.