Author Topic: Struggling with naps  (Read 3387 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Struggling with naps
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:43 am »
Yes that makes sense. Lots of young babies have irregular WU times in the morning too, and sometimes it's best to let them have that and alter the day accordingly, for some people they prefer to set the WU time to make each day more predictable.  Either is okay so long as it works for you and LO.

Could you just record what happens for 2 -3 days and post the times?  It doesn't matter that each day is different, just record whatever happens and I will have a look over those 3 days and how they relate to one another.

Offline Tammy2402

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 13:17:40 pm »
Yes I will do that and get back to you in a few days! Thank you for your help!

Offline Tammy2402

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 13:42:20 pm »
So this is what it looked like from Friday to Sunday.
Friday
4:20 Nighttime wake and feed
7:40 Wake take meds (need to wait 30 minutes prior to eating)
8:15 feed
10:00 fell asleep in car seat work up at 10:37, picked up swaddled put down in rock n play (sleeps in this due to incline for reflux) began crying at 10:45 attempted to rock/shh the rock n play (rocking instead of patting because of the position he is in in the rock n play) for 10 minutes however cries escalated so picked up and patted/rocked until asleep then back down at 11:23 however cried again shortly after
11:30 feed
1:00 down for nap awake but drowsy
1:29 woke up, rocked in rock in paly for 10 minutes back to sleep for 5 mins, began rocking again for 15 mins
2:45 feed
4:55 down for nap woke up at 5:20 attempted rock and shh however cried an needed held from 5:43 to 5:48 back down and awoke at 6:10
6:15 feed followed by bedtime routine
7:30 bedtime
10:15 modified dream feed

Sat
2:50 am nightime wake- feed
6:45 woke on own, gave meds
7:20 feed
8:51  nap
10:30 feed
12:00 nap, 12:43 woke up, rocked and shh without picking up for 15 mins
1:50 woke and feed
3:15 nap, 3:45 woke up, shh and rocked for 15 minutes in and out of sleep needed rocked in rock n play until next feeding
4:50 feed
6:05 fell asleep in car seat, 6:20 taken out, swaddled and put down for nap
8:00 woke him up for feeding followed by bedtime routine
9:00 bed
11:00 dream feed

Sunday
6:10 he woke on own, gave meds
6:40 feed
8:00 nap
9:40 feed
11:30 fell asleep in car seat, moved to rock n play for nap
1:30 feed
2:55 nap 3:40 woke and needed rocked in rock n play until 4:15
4:45 feed
6:30 nap 7:10 work and rocked in rock n play for 15 mins
8:05 woke him up for feeding followed by bedtime routine
8:45 bed
11:30 fed

Sorry if that is confusing or too much info.
We try to keep him in the rock n play if he wakes in the middle of a nap and just rock it until he calms and then leave. We almost always put him down awake but falling asleep/drowsy. time between feeding and naps are activity times with play and engagement. His naps seem to be getting slightly better with not always having to go in to calm him (sometimes he is waking and putting himself back to sleep) but we still have trouble with about half of the naps. I would also like to get on a consistent bed and wake up time but I am having a hard time doing that when I have to give his meds 30 minutes before he can eat in the am.  Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Struggling with naps
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 18:10:49 pm »
From what I can see the A times are quite variable from as little as 1hr 25 to more than 2hrs.  Could you watch the clock over the next few days and aim to have him asleep at 1hr 40 A time. So time it from when he wakes and start your normal wind down with the aim of him nodding of for nap 1hr 40min later.
Lets see if that helps at all.

With the morning WU, I would think that if he has a feed in the night and it hasn't been quite the 3 hrs you would still be ok to give his morning meds on WU, if it was say 2hrs after the feed.  it look like you are mostly ok giving the meds in the morning anyway as the last night feed is more than 3hrs.  It's ok that you need to wait 30 min before the milk feed, still count the A time from when he woke not from shen he ate or finished eating, hope that makes sense.  LOs can often stretch a little more than the 3hrs when they are asleep so it shouldn't effect the day too  much.
Mine wouldn't eat when he first woke up anyway, always had to leave it 30-60 min before he'd take a proper feed or he'd just spit the bottle out and push it away or clamp his mouth shut!