Author Topic: 2 yr sleep regression - how long does it last?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
2 yr sleep regression - how long does it last?
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:18 am »
I think we are in the 2 yr sleep regression but it's beeen about a month now so starting to wonder if something else is up. Basically DD chats for a good hour sometimes more every night at BT and also before naps (although shorter).  She does it all of the time regardless of the day's routine, short nap, early BT, late BT, etc so I don't think it is routine related.

I was going to switch her to a BGB but now I am not sure what to do. I don't want her getting up etc. But at the same time I wonder if shés starting to feel like she doesn't have enough space in her crib? She does have quite a few stuffed animals in her crib, a blankie, a pillow etc.

Any thoughts? Is a month normal for this regression?

Prior to this her routine was:

WU 8:00
Nap 1-3 at daycare, 1-4 at home
BT 8:00

Now she wakes a little earlier (mostly 7-7:30), her naps have shortened a bit and BT is around 7:30. She has always been HSN and also always super easy to fall asleep at BT.
Elise

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
Re: 2 yr sleep regression - how long does it last?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 16:52:22 pm »
I would maybe push nap later and cap it, maybe start by moving to 1:30-3:30?   My DD naps at 1 too but her WU is 6:30/7, and she does usually do a mega afternoon nap too (and I consider her on the higher end of sleep needs), and then I put her to bed at 7 but it's more like 7:30/45 before she's asleep.  But she's getting a solid 6/6.5hrs of A time in the morning.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:24:53 am »
Hum ok, I can try to push the nap later on the weekend but that won't ne possible at daycare. So you would cap at 2:00? This week they had an outside nap at daycare and she only slept an hour, yet she still had the chatting for almost an hour at BT.

Alternatively would it help to make WU earlier on weekdays? She gets up much later then her siblings and wére always a little rushed by it, so maybe if we wake her earlier it would also help with BT?

Also the thing I forgot to mention is that we used to have to wake her from all of her maps and morning. Up until a month  ago on the old routine. So is it really possible the she'd decrease her sleep needs so much all of a sudden?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
Elise

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 15:21:39 pm »
I remember with DS he nearly dropped the nap completely at 2, then gradually picked it back up again...so in my experience it's pretty normal for sleep to drop off quite a bit around 2.

Alternatively would it help to make WU earlier on weekdays? She gets up much later then her siblings and wére always a little rushed by it, so maybe if we wake her earlier it would also help with BT?
This is a good idea, maybe try to wake at 7/7:30 and see if that helps?  And if you want to have a lie in on the weekend and let her sleep later then just move the nap back as necessary.  It just sounds like pretty classic UT behaviour.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 20:39:12 pm »
Hi our regressions normally were a good 6-8 weeks long. I remember when Olly was 2 he refused point blank to go in his cot and would only sleep NEXT to his cot on the floor -at 2! We thought that he was going to end up in a bed then but no, once the regression passed he was back in his cot!

Hang on in there!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 17:15:25 pm »
Ok we'll see how that works. She is definitely more tired this week (not sure why) and she is falling asleep more easily. But even then, she does chat for at least 30 minutes, and that is despite looking completely shattered at BT. We'll see how it goes with the swich in routine.

Buntybear that is actually quite funny! Definitely a strong-willed child! Not sure yet what I will go about the BGB. I'd rather transfer her some time this summer, I am hoping to potty train her in the fall so it would be helpful if she's already in a bed. But I think I'll wait and see for a few weeks.
Elise