Author Topic: short A time - need help!  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Abbyw

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 05, 2017, 20:04:16 pm »
hi there
my LO is now 5 months old and was on a great EASY schedule until about 3 weeks ago. since then i moved her back to a 3.5 schedule so i could fit one more feed in during the day.
she's back on a 4 hour schedule BUT

-I'm having a hard time keeping her up for the full 2 hours needed for her 4 hour routine :(
-Lately, the babysitter is complaining that she's sleeping for an hour max in the morning and maybe for a half hour in the afternoon even though she's exhausted!. and top top it all off, she's waking up at 5ish every morning.
i try not to take her out or feed her before 7 am. and she's usually happy with a dummy until then.

-finally, her bedtime is at 7ish, and she usually goes to sleep so well! but since i have to pick her up from the babysitter at 1:45 pm (smack in the middle of her second nap) i'd like to move her wake up and BT to 8. are there any tips out there that will help me accomplish this?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: short A time - need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:58:26 am »
Hi and welcome to BW forums :)

If your baby sitter is saying LO is now sleeping only 1hr in the morning and 30 min in the afternoon I am assuming that you (and baby sitter) are used to longer more restorative naps.  Often when the naps go short it is a sign that LO is ready for the longer A time.  It often can be a struggle to increase the A time because LO has become so accustomed to taking a nap after a shorter A time, you need to really push through to get to the longer time and this really ought to help LO get a better nap. The difficulty with short A times is they can lead to UT (under tired) naps where you can't resettle LO and then because she hasn't had a proper full nap she is tired after another short A time but this can lead to another UT nap (short due to not being tired enough) or an OT nap (short due to the previous nap not being restorative) or OT by BT.
I'm afraid the only option really is to push that A time. Minimum of 2hrs and possibly she needs a bit more, maybe 2hr 15min.

The early morning waking, if this is a recent thing, can also be caused by the first nap coming too early in the day, LO begins to wake up earlier and earlier trying to increase the A time before the first nap.  It can also be caused by OT at BT, which can be the result of that first nap being UT and ending up short.  If however she has always woken early, around 5am, it could be habitual or she could be one of those LOs who sleeps a shorter night.

It's quite hard to push that first nap time when WU is 5am and really you want it to be 7am...so the first nap should not really be coming until 9am.  After being awake since 5am your LO will seem very tired much earlier than this.
As I'm not sure what time you are starting the first nap I will suggest you don't begin the nap until at least 8am and then shift it by 15 mins per day (or every other day) until you reach 9am. At this point you should start to see the morning WU time shift some and after a few days of letting her settle into the routine you could reassess based on what her routine then looks like.

i'd like to move her wake up and BT to 8. are there any tips out there that will help me accomplish this?
Routines can be altered for things like this or most commonly for the clock changes. Usually you would move everything in the routine by 15 mins each day.  It is important to move the E times as LOs are very much guided by this and know where they are up to in the day.
I would probably not try to shift BT right now as you are already going to shift the naps, for now I'd see where BT ends up based on the days you get during this routine change and then reassess.

hope this helps

Offline Abbyw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 20:05:04 pm »
Thank you! I'll give these tips a try and let you know how we do in a couple of weeks.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 15:25:30 pm »
Hope you see some improvement :)

Offline Abbyw

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 16:50:37 pm »
hi again,
Thankfully my baby started taking longer naps, i had to get her used to being up for a little longer in the morning.
now she eats lunch before she goes in and i'll get at least an hour and a half and up to 2.5 hours!

my only concern is, no matter how long she sleeps at the 1 hour mark, she wakes up. she'll cry a bit, find her paci and eventually go back to sleep and sometimes she'll need help getting back to sleep.

i've tried W2S and it hasn't helped, maybe i'm doing it wrong?
any advice would be appreciated!

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:20:54 am »
Hello again

As such a long time has passed since you started this thread I suggest you begin a new thread either on the EASY or Naps board with your recent EASY times and the current issues you are having.