Author Topic: What changes for naps when they hit 8 months?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline annakenrick

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What changes for naps when they hit 8 months?
« on: July 12, 2017, 20:35:10 pm »
Hello

Had some great advice on here so just wanted to ask one quick question....
My nearly 8 month old is on a great routine right now with 3 day time bottles, 3 meals and two naps.
He naps for about an 1 hr to 1 1/2 hrs each time.
What is average nap time for 8 month old and should I be tweaking naps?

Sorry that's two!!
Hope you can help
Thanks

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: What changes for naps when they hit 8 months?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 21:48:34 pm »
My motto tends to be "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol!  If the routine feels good for you I wouldn't  tweak or change anything :). Most LOs are this age are on 2 naps that I would say average 1-2hrs each, some take one longer one and one shorter, some take 2 equal naps.  It looks like you are doing great, I would only start tweaking if naps start to get short or alternatively if there is any bedtime messing around or EWs.

Offline annakenrick

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 05:17:16 am »
Thanks for your quick reply.
Well we still have 1 night waking but we have had 2 sleep throughs in the last few days so I'm hoping he's going to phase outright feed by himself!! Might be kidding himself! He's taking less and less!!
However we do have very early wakings! He wakes at 510-520 every morning which is exhausting. Sometimes he just cries out and then goes back for 30 mins but he's already awake and ready to go by 530/545!
His naps have shortened in last few days and I was thinking he may need more activity time than 3 hrs. He's also eating so much more and trying to move so more! This is not helping at night as he gets himself stuck!!

Do you think tweaking naps could help early waking?

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 12:59:51 pm »
I would probably go ahead and push the A times.  1 NW at this age isn't uncommon, but pushing A times could help with the EWs and naps getting too short.  You might start to find the day getting long with longer A times and longer naps, some need to push BT back a bit.  Average A times for 8 months is usually somewhere between 3-3.5hrs, so maybe even try an extra 15mins and see what happens and go from there.

Offline annakenrick

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 20:50:26 pm »
Thanks that's a great help. I pushed to 3.15 today and he did nap for longer so let's see what happens tonight............

Thanks again!