Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 1392 times)

Offline sammy23

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
My little boy turned two in may in the last week he won't stay in his cot he keeps climbing out what can I do do I move him to a toddler bed I'm afraid that will be worse at the minute I'm telling him it's time to sleep and I keep putting him back in I've being doing this for the past week is there any baby whisperer books for terrible twos 😂 My little girl was an angel baby my little boys is so energetic he never stops going and climbing on everything x also how long should he nap at the minute his nap time is all mixed up as he won't stay in the cot

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 18:33:41 pm »
Hi there,
What is his current routine (or what was it before he started climbing out)?

Not for two's exactly but there actually is a book for toddlers called "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer for Toddlers"  :D I know this stage can be a handful for sure! but they can be terrific two's with all their cool development. Hang in there! 8)

Offline sammy23

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 21:44:40 pm »
Thanks I may get it 😊 He goes to bed at 8.30 wakes 8.30 roughly and he youst to nap 1pm for about an hour and half now it's taking at least hour and half to get him asleep today he had 1 and half hour nap and he's only fallen asleep now at 10.30 he seem to over excited that he's figured out he can get out of his cot x he's also started potty training in the last week x do u think 2 is still a bit young for a toddler bed or how do I get him to settle back in the cot 😊

Offline ginger428

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 13:59:21 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=113115.0

Here is a link to people's experiences with the transition.  I think it is time bc it is a big safety concern. Even if he is adept at getting in and out, you don't ever want to ever have "that moment" when something goes wrong.  A friend on BW told me that her cot came with a safety label that states to move out of the crib when they start to climb out. Our crib was convertible, so we just took down a side and put up the half railing.

He is probably undertired for his nap. I would move the nap to 1:30 to start, see how he does. If he still messes about, try 1:45. Then 2:00. My son has a longer A time in the morning than yours but typically 2yo need at least 6 hours of activity before nap. I would also suggest a very active activity for him daily. I have many friends with truly active kids that need intense physical activity to help release their energy and be tired enough for sleep.  Also typical around this age is the decrease in amount of daytime sleep... In your case, I would try the later naptime and cap nap at 1 hr. to preserve bedtime at 8:30. 

As for keeping him in bed, it's a matter of consistency and reinforcement of your routine. And perhaps for him a reward system. Have you used a sticker chart before>  A simple grid with 4 in a row or so, where for every time he stays in bed 5 times in a row, he gets a special treat- 15 min of tv, a small new ball at the store, an extra book at bedtime, etc...

How is potty training going? These are big changes so if you feel there isn't progress with PT, consider waiting until he settles with the big bed and naps. If he's doing well, by all means keep going! Just so you know, sometimes they regress when switching to a big boy bed... it should be temporary.

Offline sammy23

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 21:12:11 pm »
Thank you for your reply it is great advice x he didn't nap one of the days and that day he got out about 3 times then went straight to sleep but the next day I tried to see if he missed a nap again would it help he fell asleep in the car on the way to get grocerys then he stayed up extra long that night so ur advice of a cat nap is great il give this a try to help with nap time as I feel he does need a small nap he gets way to tierd..

I think we may try the cot bed I noticed tonight he ran up and got into his sisters big bed maybe he has just outgrown the cot he loves to be exactly like her this is why he showed so much interest in the potty.. he's doing good with it we use a reward chart for it and it really helps although how do u manage a reward chart when u have two children as she gets very upset with him getting a sticker I have one for her also but she only seems to want to get a sticker if he has wee/poo and not for her own tasks..

He is very active I notice if he has a very active day hel sleep a lot better he's always on the go looking for new things to learn or conquer 😂

Offline ginger428

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 20:16:53 pm »
Great, let us know how it goes!  :D

Offline sammy23

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 23:53:19 pm »
I will thanks again  :)