Author Topic: 3 month old and morning naps...  (Read 1260 times)

Offline abibechard

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mama of three boys. R5, E3 and F 4/9/17
« on: July 18, 2017, 15:06:15 pm »
This is my third baby, so I feel like I should remember more!

Foster was 3months on the 9th and we are FINALLY getting through the 45min nap stage.

We don't have a schedule (our lives seem to be changing every day) but I do try to maintain a "routine" Here's my issue, he's taken a short 45min-1hr nap first in the morning since birth and then a longer one a bit later. It's working fine (that short nap is the perfect shower opportunity  ;)  ) but now I'm wondering if I need to push him to drop it and just do one long morning nap? How do I do that? Do I extend his activity time before or really work on getting him back to sleep at 45mins??

Here is a basic EASY to illustrate. (Like I said, we are JUST getting past that 6x45min nap stage so this isn't consistent yet.)

W7:30/8
E7:30 in bed next to me
A7:35-9 plays with us in bed for a bit, diaper change, excersaucer while we make and eat breakfast
S8:30/9 an hour after he wakes he acts super tired so I put him down
E9:45/10
A9:45-11 tummy time, watches big brothers, gets dressed
S11-1 this is his long morning nap. Usually close to two hours. I'm having to help him past that 45min slump but then he is fine for a while
E1
A1-2:30 hangs out with me while the other boys nap. Tummy time, excersaucer, baby wearing
S2:30-4:30 long afternoon nap. Sometimes I'll pull him in with me if he wakes in the middle and we nap together.
E:4:30
A: 4:30-5:30 this is usually a pretty grumpy time. I'm trying to make dinner and he's close by but wishing I was holding him solely. Sorry kid!
S:5:45-6:30 cat nap
E:he's clusterfeeding at this point.
A:6:30-7:30/8 wind down, papa time, bath, dress, swaddle, rock, sing, place in bed.
S:8ish he usually is waking on and off till 9:30 at which point he sleeps steady
E: I dream feed about 11:30/12. On a good night he'll sleep till 5 at which point I pull him into bed with me and safely cosleep till the morning. On a bad night or if I don't feed him before I go to bed he'll need another feed at 1ish

Couple of notes. We only breastfeed and I'll always offer before he goes to sleep but it's usually only a little bit that he wants. I'm basing his need to sleep on his first yawn and he usually is asleep moments after I start rocking. He'll wake a little when I place him in the crib but usually settles with his paci and some shushing. He doesn't like being out of my arms or my sight. So A times are kinda rough for me. Nothing is getting done these days outside of naptimes.

He was napping a lot in his swing from the beginning but we've mostly broke him of that. But he doesn't sleep nearly as well.

So... do I get him to drop that first nap? I would LOVE for his afternoon nap to begin earlier and synchronize with my other kids. I think he senses the house is peaceful and wants me to himself. Which is fine, but I'm planning on using that time to homeschool my kindergartener this fall while my three year old naps.

Thoughts??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3 month old and morning naps...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:28:16 am »
Hi there, welcome back to BW forums :)

Sorry to see you didn't get any replies yet.

TBH if the routine you posted is kind of consistent then I'd probably just stick with it for a while.  You can change a routine, of course, but you do risk everything going right off track. Dropping the morning CN could cause OT for nap 1 meaning short 20 mins disturbed sleep rather than the longer nap you're seeing where you only have to see him through the 45 min transition.
If you're set on giving it a go though I think you could do as you said, increase the A time (10-15 mins every 1-3 days depending how much it needs to move before you see the nap extended) and help him through the nap, you'd need to be there ready to shush him through every disturbance to teach him to stay asleep.  I would imagine the last CN would be the one that dropped as that sleep time would in effect be added to the first CN - then FX you could have 3 long naps.