Author Topic: Advice on which technique for 1 year old  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Terrapin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 20, 2017, 10:28:33 am »
Hi all

I am looking  for some advice having recently decided that it is time for us to start sleep teaching Baby Terrapin. He is 13 months now and since he was 6 months has been nursed to sleep for naps and at bedtime. We have tried to get him to settle independently but this has just let to him crying and is feeling helpless as we have approached it without a real plan. We have nursed and coslept through the night at times to get through some rough patches.

We have finally come through a rough few months of sleep and now Baby Terrapin will occasionally sleep  though the night.  I have recently returned to work and will need to be able to travel away if I want to progress my career so think it is time to try some sleep training.

From the info available I'm not sure if Baby T is too old for PUPD and whether I should be trying GW approach? Would appreciate any advice as feel like he can sleep well once asleep in his cot but seems a huge leap to be able to get him to go to sleep independently.

Would really appreciate any advice or encouragement as it feels like such a mountain to climb

Thanks in advance!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Advice on which technique for 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »
Hi there love the name by they way  ;D

Can you post your day for us ie wake up, nap times etc and bt?

Baby T is a bit old for Pu/pd so I'd be starting with some GW but often good sleep at night can follow a good day routine so if we start with that we can just check if any tweaks are needed x
Zoe

Offline Terrapin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:54:54 am »
Yes, of course. Thank you!

Wake up is between 5-6 usually 5.30
Morning nap around 9 (usually 1 hour-1hr 45)
Afternoon nap (30-45mins)
Bath 6.15 (start of BT routine of bath, stories, nurse to sleep)
Bed time 7

Baby T has started to resist afternoon nap some days but early wake up time means it's difficult to try one nap day without him being exhausted by bedtime.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:09:09 pm »
Hi I'd prob start with trying to work towards 1 nap so for us with DS1 we did
WU 6am Nap 11-12.30 or longer then CN 30/40 mins around 3.30 pm BT 7/7.30pm
DS2 WU 6.30 CN 9.30am for 30/40 mins then long nap 1pm-2.30/3pm BT 7.15/7.30pm

If she is more tired but not OT you should get less resistance at nap/BT. I'd stop the feeding to sleep and make sure the feed is done and followed by teeth clean, story etc then lots of cuddles and into bed.
With GW you would put in cot, sit near him but just reassure very quietly so just a sleep phrase and some shushing maybe, if she gets upset quick stroke, pat or cuddle but back down and repeat repeat really.

It will take a few days as you will gradually move a little every 2-3 days away until you get to the door etc.
x
Zoe