Author Topic: Dream Feed help  (Read 1753 times)

Offline maybell245

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 24, 2017, 18:02:17 pm »
Hello,
My DD is almost 4 months old.  She has been on EASY since we came home from the hospital.  We are working on transitioning from 3 hour to 4 hour and her naps are improving.

She has never ever taken a full DF.  No matter how much we offer or when it is between 10 and 11, she won't take more than 2.5 oz if she takes any.  Some days her last feeding is a BT around 7 and she still won't drink any at 11. 

She is still NW or EW or both and I think if she took more of the DF she may not do that as much or at all, am I wrong to think that?

She eats between 4.5 and 6 oz. at all other feedings.

Yesterday, we offered less the last 2 bottles and it was the same and she had 2 NW instead of 1.

Any advice on what I should do?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Dream Feed help
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 18:16:52 pm »
Hi there, some take to DF some don't but it's normal to have a couple of night feeds at this age. I wouldn't feed less in the last 2 bottles as they need the calories.

Personally if your not getting any difference from DF I'd not bother and just feed when she asks and get yourself some earlier nights in  ;)

My DS1 took full DF at 10.30 then NF about 2am and still a 5am feed until about 6 months when the 2am moved to 4am/5am etc. But DS2 never dropped a NF by himself so we didn't worry about it until about 10 months old.

I know it's tiring but they have loads of growth spurts when they are young it's just best to feed them xx
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 18:47:30 pm »
My two didn't take to the DF either so we tried for a while then didn't bother. Both used to sleep from bedtime till about midnighish when they were little babies by by about 4 months the feed started creeping later and later till it was a 3am feed. I can't remember what we did for DS, but DD we actively weaned the NF around 8/8.5 months.

I agree with PP - keep all the feeds pre bed as full feeds and just let her sleep and feed when she wakes for it.

Laura

Offline maybell245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 19:48:25 pm »
I think the DF may make a difference of 2 hours, not sure if that's worth it or not.

Days she refuses it (takes 0) she wakes between 1 and 2:30 and days when she takes the 2.5 she wakes between 3:30 and 4:30 (maybe 5).

Worth it or not?

Staying awake until 10:30 or 11 is a challenge!  My DH and I find ourselves setting an alarm so if one of us is asleep we do the DF.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 19:51:19 pm »
Personally I think I'd just leave it and see what happens! I'd rather get the sleep and then just feed quick and resettle quick during the night!

Laura

Offline maybell245

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 20:01:08 pm »
I appreciate your opinion!

I have had a hard time wrapping my brain around it!  DD1 spoiled us and slept 7 to 7 starting at 6 weeks and took a full DF at 10:30 so this NW/EW thing is new to me!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 20:18:42 pm »
I think I'd leave it too and just go to bed, it won't last forever. I tried to think of the NF as extra cuddle time. Time has flown too fast with DS2  :)
Zoe

Offline Littlebees

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 15:48:22 pm »
I was just about write a similar post. My big boy is 12 weeks and has been taking 5 feeds of 5oz in day, 1 DF of 2-4oz, then 5oz at about 3/4am. 7 feeds a day!! Previous to that he was taking 1oz of the dreamfeed.

The day feeds are now reducing and the DF is bigger, have been sightly concerned and am trying a 3.5 hour routine due to the smaller day feeds.

It's a minefield, you either DF the small amount and they then wake at 3/4am or no DF and you get 1/2 and 5/6. Personally I prefer the DF times as getting my boy back to sleep at 5am is a nightmare!!