Author Topic: So, how was this done? LOL  (Read 9240 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: So, how was this done? LOL
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 11:50:30 am »
Dh tried every day with the dummy for about 3 weeks before she took it and kept it in, so don’t give up.
Hang in there it will get easier

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 23:28:51 pm »
I'd be careful going by the clock at this age. Babies this young can need feeding more than every 2-2.5hrs. If she's hungry then it's better to feed on demand. Waiting longer between feeds will actually make your milk more watery so won't help with gas. Empty breasts make milk at a greater rate and it is higher in fat.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 17:44:16 pm »
Dh tried every day with the dummy for about 3 weeks before she took it and kept it in, so don’t give up.
Hang in there it will get easier

I offer it from time to time but I'm not 100% sure I want her to have one.  I like the break ot gives but I honestly dont know if I have it in me to hear her cry as I wean. I'm scared to think about sleep training lol

I'd be careful going by the clock at this age. Babies this young can need feeding more than every 2-2.5hrs. If she's hungry then it's better to feed on demand. Waiting longer between feeds will actually make your milk more watery so won't help with gas. Empty breasts make milk at a greater rate and it is higher in fat.

I feed her when she is hungry. It can be 2 hours but  mostly it's sooner. She was 'nursing' from 1:30 am till about 6-7. She spent most of today on the boob, feeding every 30-60 minutes for 15-30 minutes, my boobs are pulsing from pain ☺ I guess growth sprut.

I also hold her in my arms all the time, sometimes even when she is sleeping because putting her down she's awake in 5minutes and in my arms she sleeps longer. I hope I'm not creating habits I cant break in the future. I'm traumatised from the experience with dd that I wont have it in me to hear her cry when I would have to break habits.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 20:33:47 pm »
You can't spoil a baby by holding too much. She is tiny. There is plenty of time to get her more independent as she gets older. This can be done gradually without the crying. My DD was the same. Sometimes I can put her down but other times she needs me.

Offline eva026

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 07:03:28 am »
I was also all panicky when DD2 was born. She was literally on me all the time! At night she’d only sleep with my boob in her mouth and during the day i had to hold her or nurse. Totally different from DD1, who would eat her full and go to sleep for 2h in her own bed.
It does pass though. Just strap on and hang on tight. It will sort itself out in a few days.

Offline dache

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 07:30:19 am »
Thank you ladies, you are amazing.
So we had a crapy night. My bp went in the sky in the middle of the night. 177/120 (while I'm taking bp meds) so I had to take a sedative (diazepam 2mg) and cant bf for the next 6-8 hours. The midwife is coming today and I'll talk to her and see with my doctor. I really hate that the bp didnt came down when I gave birth.
She had one bottle with 60-70ml at around 5 which means she'll need one more bottle and than I hope to bf her around 11:30-12😫

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 09:05:16 am »
I am not sure Honey but in reality there is amazingly few medicines forbidden for breastfeeding mothers however both your doctor and the packaging of medicine will say other thing. There is a book (Ali you should know more I hope) where some kind of team of doctors check risk for breastfeeding mothers and a baby). The best thing you can do is to call/check with IBCLC lactation consultant if you can breastfeed. For example I was always told that if my thyroid will stop working properly, with meds I need to take I will have to stop breastfeeding as my endocrinologist told me. But after consultation with a lactation nurse, she let me know for this specific med it’s not needed. I also can a client who was given some contrast for MRI if I am correct and she was told to stop breastfeeding for 24h but when we looked for information, most of contrast component are also fine for breastfeeding mothers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:50:24 am by Martini~ »
~Marta

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 19:41:09 pm »

Offline dache

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 20:54:55 pm »
https://www.drugs.com/breastfeeding/diazepam.html

There is useful info here
Thanks Ali, I did read that and it's the same that the midwife told me.
I don't plan on taking it anymore. I vomited a few minutes after taking it, not even sure I digested it. I'll take the bp meds regularly (I was told take them as needed but I clearly need it regularly).

It's not the same situation as with dd, but I'm off to a rough start. The baby wants to be held all the time ( literally)at night she needs to be on the boob to stay alseep. I know beggings are hard and expexted that but the bp is taking a toll, I'm exhausted, constant headache and nausea, I find it difficult to function. I just need some rest to recharge. Fingers crossed for some sleep tonight :)

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 22:02:43 pm »
Can your DH snuggle her for an hour or two to give you a break?
Have you mastered side feeding in bed so you can sleep while she nurses?

Offline eva026

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 07:26:27 am »
Have you mastered side feeding in bed so you can sleep while she nurses?

Definitely this. It’s a lifesaver!

Offline dache

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 09:01:04 am »
Dh works two jobs and when he is at home he does everything around our home and ententertain dd and if I ask him he would do it but he needs a break too.

I have mastered breastfeeding laying down. I go to sleep when she goes, around 9-10 and after her she wakes at around 12-1 she is in bed with me for the rest of the night. She also nurses to sleep and sleeps in my arms :) I feel like I'm on accidental parenting roll lol

Offline dache

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2017, 08:55:58 am »
I'm close to the end now and I noticed a few drops of milk on one breast and it reminded me of this.
If things go same as before and I have little milk on one side and a lot on the other, do I always offer the low supply one first?
So this is happening. I noticed her being very upset and constantly want to nurse the past two days so I gave her a bottle yesterday, she took it in one breath. Poor baby was starving. I pumped and got less than 20ml on the right side.
Is there anything I can do to increase supply? I drink tea, oats for breakfast, drink planty of water.
When I feed her,do I offer empty breast first than the other one? Will she get alll the kinds of milk she needs? Should I pump after feeding her? Just the one with low supply or both?

Ah, a list of questions :) I would really like to be able to breastfeeding as long as possible (and skip the pumping if possible).

Offline eva026

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
You can try fenugreek, it made a massive difference to me. Also pumping after every feed, even if nothing comes out. Pump, break a few min, pump again - simulate a GS
I don’t get much pumping now either. With DD1 I started pumping from the start and end up with a massive oversupply. Could get 100ml in one sitting easy. Now I’ve only pumped a bit and I only get 50ml in one sitting. I don’t do it regularly though. If you want to pump to be able to give a bottle you should find a time you can do it regularly and stick to it so you start producing at that time.
Keep in mind that some babies will Take a bottle even if full.

Anyway, I swear by fenugreek and pumpathons 😜

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 20:23:18 pm »
The best way to increase supply is to feed feed feed. Pumping will help too even if little comes out it will still stimulate production. Skin to skin, perhaps in the bath or bed will help too.

Your DH can still get a break snuggling the baby, perhaps he could watch tv or browse on his phone or wherever he likes to do sittiing down. He'd probably like the bonding time. My DH enjoys it. The house work can wait x