Author Topic: 10 wk old, only naps in sling  (Read 1457 times)

Offline SaminFrance

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:15:36 am »
Hi everyone,

I think I'm looking for some reassurance really.

I can't get my 2nd baby (dd) who is now 10 weeks to nap other than in the sling.  My son who is now 3 was an angel baby and took to EASY really well, I could put him down in his bed when I saw sleep cues and he would go off on his own without a fuss.  I neved had to shh pat etc....

I am finding the 2nd baby much harder especially having a noisy toddler around, and I just don't have the time to dedicate to her shh patting at each nap etc.  When  I have tried it it just ends up with all 3 of us getting frustrated!!  She is also a very light sleeper in the day and so even if she falls asleep in car seat when we are out I find she often wakes up if the car stops etc... though not always.  She doesn't really tend to go off in the pram either.

Easy was so easy with my son, I'm finding it hardwork now it is harder with 2nd and also that she has to fit in so much more with our busy days, in and out of the house and car all day.

On the occasions my son is not around I try and put her down with a ritual but as it never ends in a nap I worry that the ritual is actually counter productive signalling that she will be put in her bed, get upset and then go in the sling!   Her bed at the moment is the pram bassinet which is designed to sleep in over night.

Having said all of this she sleeps amazingly for a 10 week old and has slept solidly most nights since she was about 4/5 weeks old for 11  or so hours.  Also at bedtime she generally goes off fine from being put in to her bed awake after feed.

So am I giving myself too much of a hard time?  As I have a good EASY routine (see below) and great overnight sleeping should I just chill out and accept that she wants to be with me in the day, and that that is fine?   Will I eventually be able to pop her down for naps in her bed?!

AVERAGE DAY:
3 hour EASY  (6 feeds in total)
3/4 x naps sleeps about 1hr/1hr and a half after waking.  Don't always manage the last one.
Tend to start day at around 8 at the moment with first feed.
Cluster last 3 feeds:  5, 7 and 8 with bath between 7 and 8.

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom or encouragement/reassurance!
Sxx

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 10 wk old, only naps in sling
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 16:18:40 pm »
Hello, I guess you need to figure out what is best for you and your family? Sleep training is going to take a lot of time by the sounds of it so you need to be ready to dedicate that time to it. Is it a problem for her to be in the sling? I never used one so I don't know how much they get in the way!

At some point you are going to need to remove it and she is going to have to get used to going to sleep in a her cot/crib it may be worth dedicating the time now?