Author Topic: Not eating and now weight loss  (Read 4721 times)

Offline babyrose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My two beautiful strong boys
Not eating and now weight loss
« on: August 17, 2017, 17:31:33 pm »
Leo is hardly eating and he's lost 2lbs. We have been referred to a dietician just last month and she has gave us some idea about adding cheese to foods, milk with cream through it etc. We had another appointment last week that's when we found out he had lost more, she now given us supplement juices and milks but he won't take the juice but the milk one is a hit and miss.

It's only just going through my mind that we have changed routine this past while and I'm just wondering if it's that. He's grumpy as anything in the morning and after getting up from his naps.

7 wu
13:30 1.5 sleep (used to be 2 hrs)
20:00 bedtime

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:53:24 am »
Have you checked if the weight gain/loss thing is not not connected to any illness? Anything different from diet? I would expect even a non-eating toddler to self survive on barely no food.

In terms of diet and routine how much and when is he eating. And what? Maybe we could advice how to increase calories in his small meals.
~Marta

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Not eating and now weight loss
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 07:53:41 am »
Sorry to hear about the weight loss. many hugs.

It's only just going through my mind that we have changed routine this past while and I'm just wondering if it's that. He's grumpy as anything in the morning and after getting up from his naps.
What is is about the routine you've changed?  I see the nap got shorter but are you capping it or is he just waking earlier from his nap?  Where are the meal times in the routine, have those moved or in the same place. Is it you feel he is too tired and grumpy to eat??

As Marta said, could you list what he's eating so we can see if we can suggest some things?

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 08:20:57 am »
No illnesses for quite some time, even Xmas wasn't bad this time. What I mean from no eating is very very little eating.

Eating snacks and main meals are generally in the same place as the old routine and yeah he's very grumpy and it's not like him. I've cut the nap as Lewis was wasn't sleeping great at night and they're starting nursery in January and am hoping to get a morning place for 4 hrs which would mean them missing 1 nap anyway.

Breakfasts are generally cereal and milk in a cup 7oz which is normally demolished and now take a 10oz cup. We are now on jersey gold milk with cream through it recommended by the dietician.

Snacks apples, bananas, crisps, raisins, smoothies or puree any of these things

Lunch cheese on toast, beans and pork sausages, pop corn chicken with humour, scrambled eggs chicken drumstick, homemade lentil soup. Most of these things now have extra cheese, milk and butter through again recommended by the dietician.

Dinner chili nachos, curry and rice naan bread, chicken dinner roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings peas and carrots. southern fried chicken and chips sometimes with sauce.

Ok so that's some stuff off the top of my head. He might eat scrambled egg, picks the pork sausages out, maybe the bread from the soup, couple bites out the Yorkshire pudding and the tortilla chips from nachos and the sauce from southern fried chicken meal.

7 breakfast
9:30 snacks
11:30/12 lunch
15:00 snacks
17:30/18 dinner
19:30 sometimes a bit dry cereal and some milk.

Dietician has given us supplement drinks and milks. He won't take the juice but milk he has been accepting at night.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:15:25 am by babyrose »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 15:48:41 pm »
Sorry I don't know what to say - honestly if anyone else had posted about low food intake at this age with this amount of milk I'd be thinking LO is not hungry enough to take the meals due to being full of milk but as your dietician has recommended increasing milk intake, well, I'm stuck.

Would he eat more if it was cakes?  There are some very healthy protein high cupcakes you can make out of beans and eggs (I can look for a recipe), it's like an entire protein cake. Hmm...don't know if you really want him in the habit of eating loads of cake but if he's losing weight perhaps the weight gain is the focus for now rather than eating habits.  The cupcakes I made were sweetened with some honey but not that much IMO and no sugar.  I also made them with ground almonds so it's pretty much beans, eggs, almonds - protein on protein on protein.  That could help?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 16:18:41 pm »
Is he working on teeth? I know kids who didn't get their "2-year" molars till 3-and-change.

Will he eat avocado? Can you add some olive oil or coconut oil (those are "good fats") to any of the foods for more calories? Also, what's his physical activity level like?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 17:09:51 pm »
Did he have reflux as a baby - loss of appetite was always the first symptom of a flare up with my DS. I second the teeth idea too if he hasn't already had his 2 yr molars.

Maybe the snacks aren't helping - neither of my kids would eat a decent sized meal if they had a snack - particularly in the afternoon. If he does need the snacks maybe something higher in fats/ calories and a really small portion rather than fruit would help?

Laura

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 19:59:44 pm »
Thanks very getting back to me.

Creations, that would be great if you could find a recipe. He does like cakes especially chocolate  ::) anything to help, they're still in 12-18 months trousers but they keep falling down :o

Deb if u hadn't mentioned about teet then I would have never have looked last nigh and only to find half a molar poking through! So I'm assuming that's what's causing our problems but I don't want to get ahead of myself thinking that's it and stop seeing the dietician etc just yet.

Lolly, yes they had reflux when they were wee and I don't think it lasted long.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:05:19 am »
There are lots of cup cake recipes on-line if you google "chocolate kidney bean cake" they are all basically the same but some use honey whilst others use sugar or stevia.  This one has a half cup of honey as the sweetener:
http://www.bbcsouthafrica.com/recipes/?recipe=kidney-bean-chocolate-cupcakes
you'll see this one is beans and eggs mainly so double protein and not much else really
It also has the recipe there for choc avocado frosting with peanut butter which is a healthy fat hit, if he doesn't like avocado or nut butter you can make frosting with cocoa powder and cream cheese, don't need anything else although if you wanted to sweeten you could add icing sugar or mashed banana for instance.  I never make frosting though although I've used just cream cheese before and no one seems to mind it's not sweetened.
The cakes I've made freeze well, I make sure they are interwoven with baking parchment so that I can easily lift out the number I need rather than risk them sticking together.

You can also use chickpeas instead of kidney beans.  There are recipes for choc or choc chip chickpea cupcakes on line too (if you use only cocoa powder there is not sugar, I don't know if it bothers you or not, obviously adding chocolate or chocolate chips means there is sugar too).

The other cake I mentioned was white bean, again lots of variations on-line but here's one:
https://www.eatsomethingsexy.com/white-bean-vanilla-cupcakes-with-coconut-cream-frosting/
this one you can use butter instead of coconut oil if you don't have coconut oil and it looks like the one I made but I decided to just throw in a random amount of ground almonds which worked fine.

They are all easy recipes to make really - use drained canned beans for ease.  Fill the cake tins quite full rather than expecting a huge rise on them, and I struggled with mini cup cake cases, they got stuck so I'd suggest no cases but straight into an oiled cup cake pan.

they're still in 12-18 months trousers but they keep falling down
Oh you're not alone there.  This summer DS wore age 3yo trousers as shorts, he is 6.5yo!  i learned not to throw out trousers when they are too short, just save them a few years and re-use as shorts!

These belts are brilliant, we've been using them a good few years now, they clip onto the belt loops so you don't have to keep fastening and unfastening every time they go to the toilet so the kids can be more independent.  There's a red and navy pair you get two belts in a pack:
http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/2-pack-potty-training-belts-b6074.html
these belts plus always buying trousers/jeans with the button elastic and belt loops is how we manage.

I hope it's just teeth causing the problem. x

Offline babyrose

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 17:31:50 pm »
These recipes sound great, thanks very much :D if Leo won't eat them I will!

I found Ayden also to be a bit slimmer round the waist until this year, his clothes were always a year or so behind until this year he's had a massive growth spurt.  Those belts look great, we are mainly using braces at the moment and I did pick up a pair of trousers with adjustable waist. It certainly helps.

I'm pretty sure it's teething now but I'm going to see the dietician and we have an appointment to see the paediatrician 20th September. Lewis is teething too.