Author Topic: My 11 week old will not nap past 30-45 minutes. Does WTS work?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline jacks0928

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I am new to these types of forums so if I do not provide enough information or too much at that, please let me know. I have read the books, scoured the internet and tried it all to no avail. Here is a little background: My beautiful boy is 11 weeks old and for the past two weeks has been taking naps that do no last longer than 45 minutes total. Before this, his naps would range from 1 hr to sometimes 3. We are on a 3.5 hr EASY schedule and his waketime is around hour and half. I have been trying WTS for the past few days with more failures than successes. It is hard to judge the time to pop in with him because sometimes itll be a 30 minute nap while others are 45 minutes. Either way it is like clockwork. He is in his crib (since about 6 weeks) and goes down to sleep with minimal fussing. At a certain time (see below) I go in and move him a little. He moves his arms or legs but never wakes up fully. I do notice however that at almost every 10 minute mark he will jolt (he is swaddled and hates it!). I have a few questions:

1. How can I judge time to go in if I don't know whether he will take a 30 or 45 minute nap?
2. If his body is moving on own, isn't he going into a new sleep cycle on his own? He tends to be a restless napper.
3. How long should this take to show some consistency?

Day 1:
1st attempt: went in after 35 minutes -- woke up 5 minutes later (total nap - 40 minutes)
2nd attempt: went in after 25 minutes -- woke up at the 45 minute mark but I caught it and soothed him back (total nap- 1.5 hr)
3rd attempt: woke up after 15 minutes -- soothed back to sleep but only for another 30 minutes (total nap 45 minutes)

Day 2:
1st attempt: went in after 25 minutes -- woke up 10 minutes later but I soothed back 15 minutes later (total nap - 1 hr)
2nd attempt: went in after 30 minutes -- success! (total nap 1 hr)
did attempt third time because this was his 45 minute catnap

Day 3:
1st attempt: went in after 23 minutes-- success! (total nap 1hr 40)
2nd attempt: went in after 23 minutes -- woke up at the 30 minute mark, would not go back down (total nap- 30 minutes)
3rd attempt: went in after 23 minutes -- woke up at the 30 minute mark, would not go back down (total nap- 30 minutes)

I am a very frustrated mama because he is so overtired in the afternoon. I know he wants to sleep because hell fall asleep during his feeding time. Please let me know what I can do and if there is hope! Thank you.

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
Re: My 11 week old will not nap past 30-45 minutes. Does WTS work?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:29:16 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

Honestly, there's no clear cut answer to why this happens, but it is common for some babies between 2-3 months to suddenly shorten their naps. Some don't consolidate their naps again until 5-6 months (6 mo is when their sleep cycle lengthes from 50/60 min to 1.5).  Mine took 30-40 min naps from birth to 6 mo. It was extremely difficult, but it turns out he was a bit sensitive/sensory so he needed some sort of pressure during his jolts. Eventually I had him sleep on me and I would hug him beween cycles in order to lengthen his nap. I know, not ideal whatsoever. Swaddle would have been nice if it worked but he also hated it.  We tried the one arm, etc... it didn't work.

From my experience here, shortened naps can be due to development (esp. around 3 mo) incl. growth spurts and digestive changes, routine related- overtiredness as their awake times need constant adjusting, and/or inconsistency/environment changes. The hardest part is the time and effort it takes to eliminate issues, at which point their routine needs another adjustment anyway... Enough to drive us mad, isn't it?

Here's what I would try:
Continue WTS for another 2 days. If it does not consistently work at this point, stop.  You might condition him to wake earlier. If you have a gut feeling this is already happening based on Day 4 (if that's today), then stop. 
Add another 20-30 min CN about 1.5-2 before bed to curb OT.
See #2. below.

1. I think you made the right call by going in at the 25 min mark. What I used to do when I did try WTS was stay in the room and helped him at the point he moved, similar to when you soothed him back to sleep.. which isn't technically WTS, but it worked for us. I did this bc I also didn't know how long he'd nap or when he'd wake.  I didn't want to nudge him if I was disrupting his sleep cycle too early.
2.  At this age, the sleep cycle is between 50 min and generally speaking, short naps are *usually* a sign of OT... but not always.  Is his first awake time shorter than the afternoon ones? You could try putting him down 5-10 min earlier for the first nap to see if it'll help him relax. Conversely, if that doesn't work for 2 days or so, ADD another 5-10 mins to put him down. I figured out my son had longer than average awake times, but it was basically too late before I found out. I suggest trying earlier times bc we always want to rule out OT before doing anything that might cause it!
3. Usually with any routine change or methods tried, it takes 3-5 days.  It all depends of course.  WTS is usually done for only 2-3 days since as I mentioned before, it could condition early waking.

I really understand how frustrating this is! With everything I suggested, start with what you feel most comfortable with. Slow and steady. What I wish for you is that this is developmental and in another few days, he may surprise you and return to long naps.

Offline jacks0928

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: My 11 week old will not nap past 30-45 minutes. Does WTS work?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 17:05:58 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice. I apologize for not thanking sooner. It has been kind of busy around here.          Unfortunately WTS has not proven successful with extending his naps. I have been trying to play with his waketimes since he tends to be erratic at times. I have a few questions:

1. How much on average do waketimes increase throughout the day?

2. What is my son's waketime based upon this information...

He went down at 9:25 this morning after a 1hr 15 min waketime. He woke up 45 minutes later. Took a while to soothe back to sleep but then fell asleep for only 10 minutes. I gave up and scooped him. I then began the countdown from 11:15.    I started to put down 50 minutes later (12:05). He laid in his crib moving around not really crying and finally fell asleep at 12:40. What is his waketime?

3. What do I do if he wakes up in 45 minutes and I still have so much time til the next feeding?

Thanks so much!