Author Topic: I'm at a loss at what to go next- 10 month old waking between 4-5am  (Read 1134 times)

Offline annakenrick

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0

I'm really struggling to know what to do next and whether pick up and put down is now my only option.
Abit of history. My little boy was sleeping through, off and on but then he did nearly two weeks in a row so I thought things had changed. However when he hit 9months everything has gone wrong.

He is now waking between 4-5am and won't go back to sleep. Throughout his life when he wakes he has had milk to settle and I think that's an issue I need to sort out so I have tried a method seen on here where you keep the water measurement the same and reduce the formula powder. Doesn't seem to have any affect. I have tried just water and he drinks it. Some nights he wakes at 2 or 3am then still up at 4/5am.
Some mornings it's taken me an hour and half to get him back to sleep! The other problem he is waking my 5 year old up who has just started school with his crying so he is then shattered and displaying bad behaviour as he's shattered!

He has also started nusery so is taking two shorter naps at the moment but on nusery days he is having his usual naps and catching up. There doesn't seem to be much difference between these days though.

He turns 10 months on Thursday. Should his activity time be longer??
Should I withdraw bottle completely and do pick up?

His routine
5/ 530 wake and bottle 8oz( even if up earlier I try and get him back down but usually give up by 5)
7am breakfast- doesn't usually take much
9am top up bottle 4oz
915-1030 if at home nap
12 lunch
1pm bottle 8oz
130-245 nap ( on my days off we have to get his brother so have to get him up then)
330 snack
5 pm dinner
630 bath
645 bottle where he usually falls asleep
7 down no problem.

He can go to sleep by himself for naps and at night if he doesn't fall asleep on bottle!

He's standing up in his cot these days as well.
As you can tell by this ramble i feel all over the place!

I just need to get him to sleep through to 530 at least!!!

Please help with any ideas.......... thanks in advance!

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: I'm at a loss at what to go next- 10 month old waking between 4-5am
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:10:47 am »
Hi! It's been a while since my two have been at the stage but I'll do my best to give useful advice :) I think starting nursery may be the cause of the extra wake up. Both of my kids had extra night-wakes when starting daycare for the first time. We just had 2 months at home together and both of them have been waking at night since returning to daycare (and that's a 2 yo and a 5 yo that have been at that daycare for a long time!). Any big transition is tough. If everyone's tired and he's walking your older child, I would snuggle him to sleep or feed him if that's what he seems to want. Once he's fully adjusted to nursery he may stop waking at that time and if he doesn't, then you could try PU/PD. It is fairly normal for a 10 month old to still wake and eat once at night.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014