Author Topic: LO developing aversion to swaddling?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline kbaz84

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2017, 21:55:03 pm »
My LO is 10 weeks old. We have been on EASY now for about 2 weeks. We have struggled with a consistent schedule as she is a chronic short napper which throws everything off! When we first started I implemented the 4 s's and it seemed to work well for nap and bed time, however over the past few days she seems to have developed an aversion to being swaddled. She will be calm and ready for sleep (yawning, sleepy eyes) but the minute  I lay her down to swaddle her (we use the halo sleep sack) she starts to scream. This will last about 10 minutes despite shush/pat and eventually bouncing/rocking.it is heart breaking!  She ultimately will settle and im able to put her in the bassinet awake and she will fall asleep. But the whole process is becoming traumatic for both of us!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Offline ginger428

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 23:32:06 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW!

Does she start to scream as you're putting her down or as you start to swaddle? She may be protesting sleep/being put down than the actual swaddle.  If it is with the swaddle, no harm putting to sleep without it unless you notice she wakes herself up jerking.  From experience and hearing from moms... within the period they learn how to flip, some babes resist the swaddle only to love it again.  I also know that some parents changed where and when they swaddled instead of right before laying down. 

Sounds like you have her on a good EASY routine... is her Awake time up to date with her age?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: LO developing aversion to swaddling?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 18:55:59 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

I agree with everything ginger said, she could be protesting sleep rather than the swaddle, LOs have so few ways to communicate and we end up trying to guess what they are trying to tell us.

I stopped by to say that I stopped swaddling at 10 wks.  Up to that point my DS had been swaddled for naps and the first part of night sleep (until I went to bed when I unswaddled him, changed nappy, fed and put down for the night without swaddle) but at 10 wks he suddenly refused to nap or take the first part of night sleep in the family room and would only sleep in his night bed which was a baby hammock, as swaddling is not allowed in the hammock I had no choice but to stop the swaddle completely.  Just time to time I used a swaddle to help calm him if he was not sleeping well for some reason, but each time unswaddled before putting down for sleep.  So - if your LO really doesn't like the swaddle maybe just put her to bed without?