Author Topic: 4 months and problem with formula feeding  (Read 1664 times)

Offline dinakab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 months and problem with formula feeding
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:37:29 am »
My LO just turned four months today and she is now exclusively formula fed. 2-3 weeks ago we moved her to a a 3.5 hour EASY as she either would eat very little at certain feeds or would even refuse a feed or two. We guessed she was pretty full and needed to shift from 3 hours to 3.5 hours. But we are still facing the same problems at 3.5
She is on 180ml of water with 6 scoops of formula as per the instructions on the Aptamil box

Our feeding schedule is the following:
7.00am
10.30am
2.00pm
5.30pm
7.00pm
11.00pm

And here is what she will eat:
7.00am - 180ml
10.30am - 140ml
2.00pm - 40ml to 60ml
5.30pm - 160ml
7.00pm - 40ml
11.00pm - 180ml

We were thinking maybe of moving her to a 4 hour EASY but she is quite on the small size so I think it's a bit too soon for her, plus I don't think she will be able to handle the 2 hour activity time. Any advice on how we can get her to eat more? Especially at 7pm since that's her bedtime and I would like her to fill up so she can make it through the night without waking at all.

She also is horrible to bottle feed. Sometimes she will take it immediately with no fuss at all, other times she will simply refuse it and fuss so we have to trick her with her pacifier then quickly swap it for her bottle. It's super exhausting feeding her and I honestly dread it sometimes. Anyone have any tips to get her excited to eat or accept the bottle more?

HELP!!
D

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 4 months and problem with formula feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 20:22:13 pm »
I would move to a 4 hour EASY, you may not get a standard EASY while her A times catch up but try and keep A away from S as much as possible in the day.

The reason she only takes 40ml at 7pm is because she had a bottle at 5.30 so she's just not hungry for it. You could try offering a half feed at 5.30 and then a normal sized feed t 7 if feeds do get that close together again while you transition.

The refusing could be a number of things, just not being hungry is the most likely. Does she have an digestive issues like reflux? That can lead to refusals too. What flow that do you have her on - have you tried a faster one? If it hasn't been 3.5/4 hours since the last bottle I would just leave it for a while and offer again later.

She is very young to be sleeping through the whole night without waking at all, even with a good bedtime bottle and the dreamfeed she is still likely to need another feed before wake up, especially if she is small for her age.

How is her napping and night sleep?

Laura

Offline dinakab

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 months and problem with formula feeding
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:04:50 am »
Thanks for your reply Laura!

She does have reflux and thankfully we have it under control. I think she has started teething (she's constantly eating her fingers and fists and whatever she can get her hands on as well as drooling!) so might be a factor.

Thinking of trying a four hr EASY and see how it goes!! We currently have her on a fast flow teat so that's fine.

Regarding NFs, I gave her a bottle yesterday at around 4.30 when she woke and she downed it so she is definitely hunger. I'll continue doing so because it's obvious she needs it.

Her naps have been quite good, we do sometimes get the 45 minute one but try and extend it with some patting and her pacifier.
D