Author Topic: 16 month old overtired naps  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Pearceuccs

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:52 am »
My 16 month old has always been a challenging sleeper but he is doing so good right night. Just having trouble with his morning awake time.

Awakes at 6-630am
A- 5 hours
S nap at 11ish based on awake time
   Sleeps from 1hr15-2hr15min
A 6 hours
Bedtime 7pm sttn

Lately most naps have been around the 1hr15 and he wakes up crying and tired. So I'm thinking overtired but then his naps are happening too early in the day it seems. He's been on 1 nap for months. But just recently started sleeping through the night after the wiwo sleep training method. He's much happier on 2 hr naps and sleeps more restfully at night. I was going to try shortening his awake time to 4hr45min. He's sooo sensitive to being overtired for naps and I've battled that problem forever. Or I am supposed to go the complete opposite and keep him up till a nap of 1230 and that's mY problem because he's undertired ? We used to have more naps of 2 hours but that's when he wasn't sleeping as good at night.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 16 month old overtired naps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 22:14:33 pm »
Oh, sorry! I thought I had posted a reply but its not there.

I think given he's now getting more solid night sleep, he may need a little A time increase, say by 15min every few days til his nap lengthens again. Its tricky because at this age, they can have an UT nap and know they still need more sleep. I wouldn't keep himup til 12:30 straight off the bat but just gently increase over the next week or two and see if you can find a sweet spot.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:41:22 am »
I’ve tried increasing him to closer to 6 hr awake times but I easily get 40 min naps then. He is now sleeping 1 hour and we have night wakings again. We’ve are doing wiwo again but so far it has not helped.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 22:10:13 pm »
Its hard to tell but I have my suspicions that the NWs may be OT. Can you write out a few days' EAS please?

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 18:09:26 pm »
We did wiwo again... and NW have gotten better and he’s been making up for lost sleep the last two nights I expect because he’s sleeping longer than usual at night. Usually he’s up at 6am but he’s been sleeping in the last two days. Since he’s up at 6-620 we have been trying set nap at 1120. When we tried 1140 we got 40 min naps a few times and made me think it was too long.

Sunday

645 awake
AT 4 hr 45 min (at shorter than usual but nap unchanged)
Nap 52 min
AT 6 hr
Set bedtime

1 nw at 330am for 5 min with wiwo

Monday

7 am awake
AT 5 hours (not doing set nap time today and doing AT instead)
Nap 1hr5min
AT 5hr45min
Set bedtime 7

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 21:52:01 pm by Pearceuccs »

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:41:41 am »
Maybe he's finding a new equilibrium with a longer night and shorter nap. Keeping things consistent gives him the best opportunity to do that.

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 20:18:05 pm »
Back to 11 hr nights. And now nap refusal unless I hold him. I tried WIWO FOR 40 min and then tried hand holding anything and nothing. Completely hysterical. Next 2 days after that is the same thing. If I pick him and then he passes out. I don’t get it!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:19 am »
:( sounds like OT. Can you APOP a nap to catch him up then carry on again? This is such a tricky transition.

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:53 am »
Oh, and I should move your thread over to Sleeping for Toddlers board since your LO is 16mo...

Offline Pearceuccs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 06:01:11 am »
Yes I have the last 3 days but I don’t want to start bad habits again. We used to feed to sleep a while back. I think I’m gonna have to do wiwo big time tomorrow but dreading it because he is so sos angry. Out of body experience. Bedtime no issues. Does well with minimal to 5 min of crying with wiwo now and has slept through the night 11 hours the last two nights again. He was sleeping through the night up until the last week or so. So we had to wiwo with him again But it’s fixed now.