Author Topic: Food variety / ideas  (Read 3824 times)

Offline lkat

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 20, 2018, 20:48:36 pm »
Hi ladies,

My LO is 10 months old. She has 4 8ox bottles per day (soon down to 3) and 3 meals per day. Breakfast is typically scrambled eggs / cottage cheese with apple sauce / or avocado with a fruit. Sometimes she will just eat fruit for one or all of her meals (she eats bananas, kiwi, blueberries, grapes etc etc). Breakfast is usually alright, but I never know what to give her for lunch or dinner. What is everyone else feeding their babies for meals?

Offline NattysMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Food variety / ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 00:48:07 am »
Mine is also 10mo, here are some ideas I have tried or plan to try. I like to make ahead and freeze.

Smoothie
Oatmeal fruit bars or Cookies
Cheerios
Veggie Frittata
Scrambled eggs
Hard boiled eggs
Greek Yogurt
Avocado
French toast
Muffin (pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, apple, banana)
Pancakes
Waffles
Grated Cheese
Cinnamon steamed apples & pears
Fish sticks
Meatballs with veg mixed in
Broccoli/veggie tots
Veggie Fritters
Pasta with avocado sauce
Eggplant / zucchini parmesan bites
Chickpea / lentil patties
Spaghetti squash (a favourite)
Chili
Brown rice
Borscht (beef, potato, carrot, beet & dill)
Stew
Minestrone
Toast with hummus, avocado or peanut butter
Garlic toast (loves!)
Chicken cacciatore
Pot roast

For dinner and lunch I always try to include a protein and 2 veg. Sometimes the meat is what we’re eating if it’s soft enough (she has no teeth yet).

I just did chili the other day with hidden carrots as she hates them and she gobbled it up so fast. Hope this helps. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 01:05:57 am by NattysMom »
Rachel          ~ 🌷🌼 Natalie Aurora 💗 May 2017 🌼🌷 ~

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:54:27 am »
I usually just make her what we are eating, just sans salt or sugar. So we had fish last night and i battered and fried up a bit for dd without salt and boiled some veg for herbin a separate little pot.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:31:07 am »
There are lots of ideas on the recipe boards (including finger food ideas which are not necessarily "recipes" as such)
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=10.0
The BLW chat thread has lots of ideas too, although more chatty than lists:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=259337.0

I mostly gave my DS what I was eating but I did alter the way I cooked. No salt, no sugar, no honey, no choke hazards.
Often made stews with big chunks of veg, then served his drained of sauce and separated into piles of each thing as he wouldn't eat it mixed up.
If I made spaghetti I threw in a handful of spiralli pasta for him and picked them out when I drained the spag as he found spag way too frustrating.
If I made fish I coated his in cracker crumbs (like breadcrumbs but crunchier and more seasoned) and served them like fish fingers, this was because he wouldn't touch fish the way we ate it. Bit of a faff but my goal to introduce a variety of fish (not just cod fish fingers) worked, he got used to it and now eats any fish without any crumbing, just how we have it.

I also made batches of bean or lentil burgers/fritters, falafel, as he didn't eat much protein but liked those. They were not my regular meal so I served those either as snack or sometimes in addition to a little portion of whatever meat was with our main meal.

I also often steamed an extra portion of veg (or extra portion of oven baked veggie wedges) when I cooked the evening meal and put that aside for DS's following day's lunch as an extra.

This is a great time for LO to learn what the flavours and textures of the regular family meals are so that there is no big change in a couple of months...unless of course you don't consider them healthy enough for baby, in which case this could be the motivation to make some cooking changes :)